Heresy II Purchase Advice

AnalogWave

Hey Guys-

Searching for reviews, I came across this forum and figured this would be the crowd to get some straight answers from.

Heresy II, WO finish, serials 8537269 & 8537270. Further research here tells me these were manufactured in mid September, 1985, the first year for this model. I haven't seen or heard them yet but the asking price is $325 for the pr. Owner claims the cabinets are mint since they were recessed into a wall and that the drivers are OEM and lightly exercised. My thoughts are, hey... they're still 23 yrs old.

So first off, is the price reasonable assuming the above?

Second. what should I look/listen for when I inspect them? I own a Denon 2808CI AVR that I plan on running them with though I also have an Onkyo TX-31 (45x2, circa '82).

Finally, I gather it's a sealed design, yet I've read a couple posts where people are replacing 'caps' (capacitors I'm guessing). Is the X-over easily reached by pulling a driver and is it worth doing on this vintage speaker?

Thx for your time and help.

First of all, $325 is a fair price - I recently sold a pair of '82 WO Heresy I's for $450.

The drivers rarely wear out. At most a diaphragm may need replacing - easy job. Lots of folks will insist that the caps (capacitors) in the crossovers must be replaced, but chances are they will sound great just as they are. I'd try both the Onkyo and the Denon. Personally, I do NOT like the way Denon sounds, but that's just me.

Go for it!

Oh, by the way, welcome to the Forum.

James

Thanks guys.

Was just reading about the upgrade kit (H II to H III) but I'm guessing because this set is from '85 they most likely have the round terminal cups and thus aren't compatible with the kit. Bummer.

On a side note, this forum software seems a little funky. I constructed my first post (& this one) with paragraphs but didn't get 'em. What am I missing?...

Personally, I do NOT like the way Denon sounds, but that's just me.

Phunny you should mention not liking the Denon sound. I've been poking around another forum where the general consensus is all electronics sound the same. That flies briskly in the face of what I read going back to my formative years in this passion but never had the budget to fully investigate. My ears tend more toward lead than gold these days thanks to decades of live concerts so I'm not even sure I'd hear a difference. I've got some old Adcom gear about that I can try as well.

So you have to enter your own HTML, eh? Funky.

Welcome to the board.

Go get those H2s, you will not be sorry. Yes electronics DO make a difference, a large one and there are many opinions on which sound the best but it really comes down to your ears so whatever you like, so be it. Personaly I am a Tube man and have tubes only for my 2 ch system. I am sure though that things like wire do not make any difference provided the wire is big enough to do the job.

Due to the cost involved though, I have SS in the HT for all 7.1 channels. There is indeed a difference but this system is for movies and is entirely enjoyable.