CD Player Vibration Reduction.....

SWL

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/tweaks/index.html

I performed this tweak this morning with positive results.......for under $20.00. [Y]

To give an idea of my bedroom system scenario:

In relation to my cd player, my subwoofer (SVS PB-12 Plus/2) is literally two feet away, and this sucker really pounds. Each RF-7 is about seven feet away from the cd player......and respectively put out some serious bass as well. Now, up until this point if I was to turn up the volume to 10:00, one beat of the kick drum would skip the cd player.

After building the above tweak, with ease I might add...........I put in some very bass heavy material.........and cranked it as loud as I could......and cranked it.......and cranked it.......and you get the picture. To my surprise, I couldn't get it to skip not even once. I figured this tweak would reduce the skipping but not to this degree.

As far as sound quality improvements.......well, I can't comment on that yet. I don't really do any critical listening in this room so I'll wait until I try this on my main system. I just wanted to share the experience.......because to my pleasant surprise this inexpensive tweak evidently does reduce vibrations to the cd player that can distort harmonics.

By the way, I used tennis balls instead of raquet balls.......and they are green. [;)]

Guest David H

I looked into vibration reduction about a year ago, when I was building my ESS AMT Tower replica's. What I found had the best vibration absorbtion properties was the Superball available at any party store. Here is the kicker, they come in any color you want...

For installing them on audio gear I came up with a simple solution that looks good and is inexpensive.

post-24405-13819428132936_thumb.jpg

I looked into vibration reduction about a year ago, when I was building my ESS AMT Tower replica's. What I found had the best vibration absorbtion properties was the Superball available at any party store. Here is the kicker, they come in any color you want...

For installing them on audio gear I came up with a simple solution that looks good and is inexpensive.

Did you notice any audible changes in the music playback?

Guest David H

GotHover,

I am curious as to how it added more dampening when you already had rubber feet on it? The question is not meant to be sarcastic either, just an honest question.

The rubber feet are small and nearly rigid, the wonderball is much larger and of a softer material.

Guest David H

Did you notice any audible changes in the music playback?

I believe vibraton absobtion is a good thing for certain applications like: Keep a cd player from skipping, Isolating vibrations from a turntable, prologing the life of the components like tubes, and in speaker applications isolating vibration between drivers.

I however do not believe little magic feet or raquet balls are going to make my DAC sound any better. These tips and tricks are put in place to resolve issues steming from unwanted vibrations, definately not a cure all.

I however do not believe little magic feet or raquet balls are going to make my DAC sound any better. These tips and tricks are put in place to resolve issues steming from unwanted vibrations, definately not a cure all.

I did the tennis balls in my bedroom system........and the raquetballs in my main system. Aside from the tennis balls preventing skipping in the bedroom system (in which I'm thankful for)............I have not noticed any improvement sound quality wise from either system.

A twenty bucks well spent though........preventing excessive skipping.