New RB-5 ll's (will be used as rear surrounds)

tonysly

Hi everybody! I was pretty excited to get home today with a pair of RB-5 ll's and stands that I picked up here locally for $150! When I saw the ad for 2 cherry RB-5 ll's already on a nice pair of stands I called the guy right away and said "I'm on my way!" :) As many of you know I am working on my HT of 2 RF-7 mains, an RC-7 center, 2 RS-7 surrounds, 2 RSW-15 subs, and up until now I have been using 2 RS-3 ll's as rear surrounds until I could find a pair of bookshelf speakers that I wanted. To be honest I was holding out for a pair of RB-75's to feel like I had a complete reference 7 series set. Anyways I figured I would snag this pair of RB-5 ll's up at this great price, then sell my RS-3 ll's, and use the RB-5 ll's as rears until I found a good pair of RB-75's for a decent price that would eventually take their place. I figured when I replaced the RB-5 ll's with the RB-75's I could even sell the RB-5 ll's for a pretty good profit. That WAS the plan. But then about an hour ago I hooked these RB-5 ll bad boys up in place of my RF-7s in front so I could see what kind of speaker I was dealing with. To say the least I was BLOWN AWAY by the sound quality of these RB-5 ll's! I was not expecting the music or movies to sound anything near that good with the bookshelf speakers hooked up as mains! I was very surpised because I bought these are "surrounds" thinking they would be ok, wow did I underestimate these things! So I began thinking, if they are this good in front, they will do the job perfectly as rear surrounds. In fact I bet I would have a hard time noticing the difference of this pair compared to a pair of RB-75s used as rear surrounds for a movie. For one the rear surrounds dont really do much work, so to me they will be as good as RB-75s in that spot, and secondly- these speakers kick ***!!! Overall they are in good shape, which at this price was just another plus for me, I would give them an 8.5/10. After this post I am going to hook them up as the back surrounds, and watch a loud movie! I was thinking Hellboy 2 on Blu Ray with DTS HD-MASTER 7.1 audio!!! Take care everybody :) Here is a pic I took when I got them home:

post-31943-13819428483_thumb.jpg

do you plan on selling your rb-3II's? if so i may know someone who would want them.

wow....$150 for a pair of rb-5II's???? i would say you stole them......great find.....

edit....my bad i didn't quite read right. sorry didn't even notice at the bottom of your sig......then again he may want a second pair of rs-3's too.....i will ask him...

• Moderators

How much do you want for the Wheaties box? [:P]

Nice score Tony. I'd say don't even worry about the RB-75's. The RB-5II's will work great for rear duty. I found a good deal on a pair of mint RB-35's for $180 that I'm using for rears. I have not hooked them up yet. I might just hook them up as fronts to check them out this weekend.

Thanks guys, I thought it was a pretty nice score. Guess I better not say what I got the rest of my speakers for, I've been very lucky... I figured the same thing Youthman, they should work just as good as the 75's for rear duty. I just realized they may fit even better in my system because I have RS-7's as side surrounds which have an 8" woofer and 1" tweeters, just the same as the RB-5 ll's. So my front three match, and now my four surrounds.

Oh- and the Wheaties box is NOT for sale :) I collect souveniers from most St.Louis Cardinals World Series Championships, and as you may guess, that is a LOT of stuff because the Cardinals have the 2nd most Championships ever, behind only the Yankees! It's quite the obsession for me :) Take care!