Help with speaker decision KLF30-Quartet-Forte II-RF-7

amusingisthedawn

After a LONG time researching, I have narrowed down my choices between the 4.

KLF 20 or 30 possibly KLF 10

Quartets

Forte / Forte II

RF-7

I have found local guys selling Forte I for pretty cheap. (200-400)

I found two guys selling quartets for (400-500)

the KLF 20 and 30's seem to be around the same as the quartets (300-500)

even some KLF 10, but they seem to be going for the same price as the KLF20

I listen to mainly rock and a lot of metal. I like it loud and the bass strong, punchy and in your face. Taking into consideration the deals on the speakers listed. What should I go for??

Forte' are bigger than Quartets but the same family...I have two pair and I love them but Forte' for $200 and Quartets for $500...Quarts seem a bit high but they are more rare (but not really rare just made for a shorter period of time)...those RF-7s seemed like the bargain if you like the Reference Sound...former Flagship of the Reference Line...

Bill

...yea that deal on the RF7's went fast. Having never heard a lot of these older speakers, it's hard to judge what I will like. I'm willing to take a chance through the research I've done prior. I just like hearing more opinions right before the purchase. I think what the quartets and forte's sound like, will be more of what I am looking for. The reference sound is good, and I do like it...but the crack of the bass drum for bands like Primus or even older Black Sabbath...even with the really expensive reference stuff I've heard...it is always lacking to me.

Having been offered RF82's almost brand new for less than $700...I still think I'm opting for a bigger sound. I have found KLF20's very close to my house for even cheaper than the RF82's...but once again, I don't know if I'm better off with the $500 quartets or the KLF20's.

Feel free to try and pursuade me...this is all new to me, and this will be my first REAL set of mains.

EDIT: I'm about 1/2 a day away from purchasing the pair of Quartets for $500.

My thought process, is this: buy the quartets and also pick up the forte I's for $200..or just purchase the KLF20's for $700. This is where i'm at right now.

I have not heard Forte's but I have the Quartets...Forte's are considered a GREAT Rock and Roll speaker so this three way marvel may be you speaker...of course never hearing them it is tough but I prefer the extended Heritage Klipsch 3 ways to the newer stuff...

Bill

I think the Tractrix horn is a big technical advance.

Maybe it is a matter that they solve issues of floor and ceiling reflections over their cousin exponential, and so not everyone needs them.

None the less, the engineers at Klipsch liked the tractrix so much that they updated the Forte and Chorus to ("II") with them and then added the Quartet with the tractrix to the line.. And these all have the passive radiator, which is good thing I think

I like my Q's at home very much but the problem is that they are too short. So I built risers to get the mid and tweeter up to ear level. The Forte II are at the office and they are just about tall enough. But if I used them at home, I'd probably build a riser.

And with that that said . . . I'll suggest you seriously consider the KLF series unless you can get Chorus II or Forte II. They (KLF) have the tractix and are a bit taller (I think). Granted, lacking the passive. Which one to target, I dunno. It is your pocket book.

The smallest one has a single treble unit. But that might work well with the C7 center unit which has a single treble horn. OTOH the bigger ones are sure to have their own advantanges of bigger bass drivers, and a tweeter. Klipsch has stuck with a tweeter on the Paladium and what I'll call a second generation tractrix. For whatever reason, the P is not using a passive. Maybe because it will not fit in the curvy design.

Wm McD.