Sub amp's

matthew2

I have read that if you build your own sub, or buy a passive sub, (SVS) then you can use an old stero reciever/amp to power it. Is that true? What about crossover, or problems with frequency's to high for the driver? How could you control anything but volume?

------------------

Matthew

Gatta' love klipsch

Matthew - You are right - you wouldn't handle x-over in the amp. It's just gonna juice up the signal from the pre-amp, which is where the x-over will take place or in an outboard x-over like the Outlaw ICBM.

The hookup would be the same as with a powered sub. Just connect the sub out from your preamp/receiver to the receiver's pre-amp in (or tape in), set the old receiver's controls to the correct source (tape monitor, etc...), connect the sub to the old receiver via the speaker level connections, and you're off!

Doug

------------------

My System

m, i've never done it but imagine you run an rca connect from your sub preout of your main receiver or pre/pro. then that does the low pass crossover in the dsp of main unit, usually at a fixed 80 or 90hz w/ the slope also depending on the dsp software in the unit.

would also imgaine you'd the connect to whatever works,

an analog or direct input on the 2nd unit, then of course setting the mode to mono if you need to. if the unit has a power amp input all the better.

then just wire up the sub speaker level from the 2nd unit. that about right? anyone?

------------------

My Home Systems Page

What if a guy had a sub out on a DVD player?

Could you go into a reciever or a junk amp for sub,

and have some sort of bass control?

SVS's are tuned pretty low and do well without a active crossover.

But a crossover is a nice thing to have.

About all you could do is try it, and if they seem to have too much midbass peak, even in mono without no bass control, then a active crossover or EQ may be a choice.

If your starting to get into a HT system, the ICBM or some sort of active filtering for subwoofers is a nice option.

THANX!