Help! I don't know what to do.

KlipschFreak

Its time for me to update/upgrade my home theater and I can't decide what I am going to do. I am a very firm believer in all 3 front speakers should be the same, so ideally for me the THX Ultra 2 setup is perfect. But I do not have that kind of money. So here is what I am looking at.

I have a chance to get som RF82's for about $450 for the pair, or RF62's for $400 pair. RC62 for $200. RS52's for I think it was $300. But the place I am shopping at doesn't have nor will they order a RSW10d, They do have the RW12d for $400.

So my questions. Is there a big difference in the RF82's over the RF62's? Also, how big of a step down is the RW12d from the RSW10d, and is it something that 2 of the RW12d's could overtome?

Reciever wise I am going to be replacing my old Denon AVR3802. I need something with HDMI switching, and am looking at the Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K, but may just hold off till income tax ( and to see if the government does tax rebates again ) and try to get a Emotiva Processor and the 125w 7 channel amp.

I would really like to get ahold of a RF63 system, but don't think I will have that amount of money any time soon, and the deal on the RF82/62 just seems to sweet to pass up. Although I have a feeling I am going to constantly kick myself in the butt if I don't try to save up for the 63 system.

I sometimes find myself daydreaming that Klipsch would create a true L/C/R speaker in the reference line.

Will first off, WOW RF-82's for $450 for the pair..... [:o]

I would get the RF-82 and the total setup, minus the subs, would be under $1000, you can't beat that.

As far as the subs go pick up one RW12d and see what you think. How does it sounds in your room with your setup? If you think that it is still lacking then get another one.

That is the killer, already thinking about the upgrade not a good thing.... I was able to purchase the RF-83 so I CAN'T go up anymore... Noe the Heritage line is eating at me.....

James

I can get them at such a good deal cause I know a place that is getting rid of the Reference line and I have some contacts within said place.

To be honest, while looking at these and the awesome deal I get, The new Emotiva ERM6.3's have caught my eye. As mentioned in my first post, I have a thing for all 3 front speakers being exactly the same, and I like 3 way designs. Unfortunatly for me, I cannot afford Klipsch's 3 way design offering ( Palladium ). If my Plasma were going on the wall I may even do 3 RF83's across the front and call it a day. But I do not like my tv's to be as high as it would have to be to accomplish that feat.

Wonders if Klipsch woudl consider making 3 way Ref series in the future using a similar mid horn/tweeter horn setup as to whats in the Palladiums? [*-)]

So what does everyont thing about my possible amplification choices? The Pioneer reciever or spend the extra and go with the Emotiva seperates?

For me it would be a question of: what do you listen to, and how loud do you like it. Elevator music ( strumming acoustic guitar and singing ) at office levels requires very little power.

On the other hand if you are a guy that wants to be in the front row of your favorite metal band.... you need power. It takes a 10 db power increase to seem twice as loud. If you have a large room and occasionally listen on the loud side... I would go for as much power as you can afford, and use your receiver as a pre-amp.

Pro amps provide an amazing output per dollar ratio, but may confuse the average person with the foreign looking input and output connectors. It's not hard to make or buy an adapter to go from standard RCA to XLR or 1/4" mono plugs. Usually a pro audio / musical instrument shop will stock adapters.

Be forewarned that most all pro amps have fan cooling, except the Crown K-series. The stock fans are loud and move a lot of air in most amps. You may be able to place the amp in another room, or swap out the fan for a lower volume one. ( will usually void the warranty though )

As far as inexpensive goes, the Behringer EP2500 has been tested to produce some of the best $$ / output around. It is basically a clone of the QSC RMX line, but less than half price, if you buy off of eBay. It does however have a LOUD fan as delivered. There are other, lower output fans that you can replace it with.

Do you live near a rental outfit>? You may be able to rent an amp with adapters for a day for a nominal fee, and test it with your receiver as a pre-amp.

Thanks for the posts everyone.

I have considered doing the pro audio amps in the past, but I don't think I am going to have the kind of room needed for that many amps. I will barely have room for a pre/pro and 7 channel amp as it is. Although, I still may nix that whole idea and just do the Pioneer reciever ( can get a heck of a deal on it ).

I don't really plan on doing much music listening. I purchased my current speaker system ( Def Tech ) based on how I loved their sound for music, without ever listening to them in a ht setup. Ever since then, while they do the job very well, I have wished I would have gotten the Klipsch system that I had been listening too on the sales floor for so long as prefer the sound of them for movies. At that time I figured my movie/music mix would be 50/50 so the ones I got would be better suited. But as it turns out, I am a 95% movie watcher versus 5% music in the house.

Also, and this coming from my car audio background, part of me wants to tinker with a D.I.Y. system, and may just choose to go that route with a sub.

I have a thing for all 3 front speakers being exactly the same, and I like 3 way designs.

Three way or two way is not important, just how good it sounds. I went from 3-way La Scala to 2-way JubScala and it was a big step up in sound. The Jubilee is also a 2-way design and nearly everyone who's ever heard Jubilees raves about them.