Sealed

matthew2

Thats a good question, though I think it just depends on how you like your bass to sound. From my understanding, sealed is punchier and more accurate but ported can get louder. Don't quote me on that.

I have the quintets w/KSC-C1 center and plan on getting this sub to complete my setup. At this point I'm so lost on what the best sounding sub I cna get for ~$350 that I just am going to trust a friend of mine and get the one above. It will have to be better than anything I've ever had or have heard so far.

It's going in a 9x12 room so it should be sufficient.

I've heard both types sound good and both types sound bad. Implementation is the key. Many advocates of sealed boxes talk about the superior damping of sealed boxes (if done right) but neglect to talk about their higher distortion brought about by their higher excursion at system resonence. The best bass I've heard has been from horns and big vented boxes using LOTS of driver area with multiple high quality, high efficiency drivers; indeed I think having lots of driver area, thus keeping excursion low, is more important then sealed or vented.

As was said before there are great sealed and ported subs.As you also have stinking ported and sealed subs.

As TBrennan told you the design is key here.The best sounding subs are the ones with the least come movement and large cone surface.

While I like my Sunfires with their huge peak to peak on the drivers I know this brings high distortion with high SPL(most will not notice this in HT use).

The large SVS and HSU also have to reach high cone travel to pound the deepest bass.The ported SVS having larger surface cones dont have to reach extreme cone travel to give massive output.This is why they are cleaner sounding.And the SVS dont need any nasty EQ so the driver is not pushed beyond its limits,helps too.

Output and quality is maintained.

Better yet the big JBL Ti-K,this unit uses a massive 15" driver and does not have to have huge cone travel to pound out deep bass.Its also cleaner sounding than a SVS or much cleaner than a Sunfire or tiny Velo SPL.

The JBL Ti-K is the champ of clean and powerful.It will knock you over!I am impressed

Note to HornEd ..the KBL Ti-K sub is a awesome sub,it has a level of punch and clean output that must be heard.Its my new refrence,after comes the Aerial SW12(very close second,more of a pipe organ sub).

Most sound quite clean a low SPL,after you reach 100dB and over most start to soot for the stars if you look at distortion.

The large JBL or TAD sub will always be cleaner than your hyper excursion woofa in the small box.One of the few subs with only a 12" driver that is clean and has real BIG output is the Aerial SW12,its a true giant performance wise.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

quote:

Originally posted by Hipnotic_Tranz:

At this point I'm so lost on what the best sounding sub I cna get for ~$350 that I just am going to trust a friend of mine and get the one above. It will have to be better than anything I've ever had or have heard so far.

I don't know if you specifically are seeking for a sealed one, but check this one, the price seems amazing (and I had read somewhere that there are better prices for this on the street) I bet it will give you more more bass than the unit you mentioned at a better price. You can even close the ports on it to get "a sealed sub" that still will go deeper than the one you saw (I think)...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00001OXQE/qid=1013395736/br=1-15/ref=br_lf_e_15/102-6085261-0293717

What sub do I prefer for music?

The RSW10 over the Sunfire(Junior,Mark II and Signature)It has snap,I like it.

On HT the Sunfires eat the RSW,make the room shake like a leaf and those who doubt the power of the tiny black cubes are shaken to pieces. Wink.gif

The Sunfire subs will dominate the RSW subs on very low bass(below 25Hz)but on music the RSW's get the win.

What I really prefer on music to any sub so far is the Aerial SW12 and the awesome sub I heard and want to get ...the JBL Ti-K. These two leave the Velos,Klipsches and the SVS Ultras in the dust.Yeah dust

The Aerial will match so well with any of my speakers(be it Klipsch,Dynaudio or Spendor)that you could not tell any sub is working,and when its called for it really delivers the goods,in spades.

Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears