BR audio hook up for older Onkyo TX-DS797

Aggie Klipsch

The interesting thing is that the PS3 has an option for bitstream or PCM in the settings. I haven't tried to select bitstream since I knew it could not do it. I wish it would say DTS-Master on my receiver but like others, everything I have read says PCM vs Bitstream is the same quality. The only difference would be if say your blu-ray player had a lesser quality decoder than your receiver (or vice versa).

I was hoping Sony would update the PS3 to allow bitsteaming of the HD codecs but that firmware upgrade never happened. I ended up getting a Pansonic BD-30 because I wanted my Pioneer SC-07 to do the decoding.

The interesting thing is that the PS3 has an option for bitstream or PCM in the settings. I haven't tried to select bitstream since I knew it could not do it. I wish it would say DTS-Master on my receiver but like others, everything I have read says PCM vs Bitstream is the same quality. The only difference would be if say your blu-ray player had a lesser quality decoder than your receiver (or vice versa).

I switched mine over to bitstream. I cannot tell if anything is different or not. Still plays regular dvd's and the only bluray I have is underdog and its playing ok. but I still can not select truhd or other formats.

You should set your PS3 to output Bitstream if you are
using an optical digital connection (i.e., Toslink) from the PS3 to
your Audio/Video Receiver (AVR), and you should set it to LPCM if you
using a HDMI connection to an AVR.

The PS3 will not bitstream advanced audio formats to your AVR (i.e., it
can only bitstream basic Dolby Digital and DTS surround audio formats).

I switched mine over to bitstream. I cannot tell if anything is different or not. Still plays regular dvd's and the only bluray I have is underdog and its playing ok. but I still can not select truhd or other formats.

Ok, I swiched bact to lpcm because I use hdmi. Do I need a different bluray player to get the new formats 7.1 and dolby tru hd ect.. to get the best sound? If so any Sony blu ray player that do that?

Ok, I swiched bact to lpcm because I use hdmi. Do I need a different bluray player to get the new formats 7.1 and dolby tru hd ect.. to get the best sound? If so any Sony blu ray player that do that?

You are getting the new formats but your receiver is being used as a amp only. The PS3 does support 7.1 audio through HDMI.You have to ask yourself this. Do you think you will get better sound from your receivers processing? It is up to you to decide. I do not own a PS3 so I cant really compare it in sound but what I do know is the newer BD players are starting to beat it with DVD video quality.

• Moderators

Gotcha. That makes sense then. I had mine set to LPCM based on other's suggestions but didn't understand why it had the option of bitstream when it could not bitstream the new formats.