what are the extra connections for on the back of C3 and F3

hdgamerdude

It's a typo, you have 4 connectors on the back of your F-3 and C-3 speakers.

Kilpsch provides you the ability to feed the low frequency drivers and the high frequency horn from different speaker wires coming from the same amplifier. Or, to feed the two different driver types from separate speaker wires and separate amplifer sources. These could be called bi-wire ot bi-amping.

Doing either comes at the risk of questionable improvement in sound quality. Some people may claim they can hear a difference, where others may say it is snake-oil plain and simple, and no improvement in sound is realized.

Some AVR 7.1 receivers provide the ability to use the 7th set of channels where not used in a 7.1 system as a 2nd set of front main channels. My Pioneer VSX 1016 provides such capabilities and I have taken advantage of it with my F-3 mains.

Do I hear any difference? In all honesty, I can not claim that I do. Perhaps I do hear a bit more clarity in the mid-range at very high volume levels, but it is extremely subjective, to my ears anyways, at best. Still, for the added extra costs of some more lamp cord that I use as speaker cable, and a good set of connectors purchased at Blue Jean Cables, it was fun to wire up and take advantage of the receivers ability.

YMMV

But, in honor and memory of my old friend OldBuckster let me add one thing.

600x600.aspx

"CRANK IT UP!!"

If you are only using 1 red and 1 black, does it matter which one you use the top or the bottom contacts?

No, as long as you leave in the copper bus bars between the upper and lower jacks. Those copper bus bars in effect make those connectors a single set regardless of what set you use.

Use the ones that are easier to access. I would use a set of banana plugs from someplace like Blue Jean cable, rather than just bare ends of wire. It's a cleaner installation, espcially behind the equipment rack on the receiver.

Blue Jean Banana Plugs

...and remember!

CRANK IT UP!

If you are only using 1 red and 1 black, does it matter which one you use the top or the bottom contacts?

No, as long as you leave in the copper bus bars between the upper and lower jacks. Those copper bus bars in effect make those connectors a single set regardless of what set you use.

Use the ones that are easier to access. I would use a set of banana plugs from someplace like Blue Jean cable, rather than just bare ends of wire. It's a cleaner installation, espcially behind the equipment rack on the receiver.

Blue Jean Banana Plugs

...and remember!

CRANK IT UP!

I always worry about those all metal contacts shorting out if one should accidentally fall off of the receiver.