OT: Question for all of you network drive geeks out there...

picky

Hey, what do you guys think about this one (see link below)? The only real detriment to me that I see is no web-based photo-sharing application, but it's performance even outdoes the $1,000+ Synology DS-508.

Linky: Intel Entry Storage System SS4200-E

I'm also still looking into the D-Link DNS-323 2-Bay Network Storage Enclosure that flatgrass recommended in his post. It's pretty darned hard to beat for the price! -Thanks, man!

I also wish to thank seti for a lot of off-line help he's given me with researching this project regarding the LaCie drives. seti: You're the best, man! I owe you! -Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

I believe I might have just hit paydirt: This 1 Tb RAID drive by Linksys (Cisco) was announed at CES 2009 and is now available:

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/NMH410

According to smallnetbuilder.com, it is a top performer and has one of the slicked user web interfaces, which makes it easy for Verna to use. Check it out / your thoughts, please. Thanks, Glenn

Glenn, I am in the same boat as you. That linksys media hub looks pretty sweet. One thing I cannot tell is if it can utilize RAID. Since it has a 2nd drive bay I would like them to both have the same data all the time, not have twice the capacity. Do you know if this is possible with the unit? I would guess worse case you could just have the back software copy everything from the first drive to the second drive on a regular basis.

I have ripped all my CDs to MP3 once then had a drive failure. Next I ripped them all to mp3, wav and FLAC then had small back up for just the wav files. After ripping them for the 3rd time I am willing to spend just about any sum of money if I can find something that is set it and forget it. I am pretty lazy when it comes to backing things up.[:(]

rplace: The answer is YES. Running a second, internal redundant drive for backup is called a RAID 1 configuration and this unit will do that. i.e.: Using 2, 1 TB drives in the unit with the RAID set to 1 gives you a total storage space of 1 TB with a mirrored backup of the same files on the second hard drive. The unit is also capable of running other configurations as well including RAID 5 which provides about 1.5 TB of storage with the entire volume compressed and backed up onto the remaining .5 TB volume for redundancy. RAID 5 is probably the configuration I'll plan to use. - Glenn