recievers?

cokid

I talked to Klipsch tech support at one point a couple of months ago about bi-wiring speakers, and they told me that the potential problem with that is that there is no way to control the amount of power the tweeter receives. If wired normally there is. So if the tweeter is rated for, say 20 watts and you have it bi-wired and decide to crank it, you run the risk of overloading it.

Just something to consider.

I talked to Klipsch tech support at one point a couple of months ago about bi-wiring speakers, and they told me that the potential problem with that is that there is no way to control the amount of power the tweeter receives. If wired normally there is. So if the tweeter is rated for, say 20 watts and you have it bi-wired and decide to crank it, you run the risk of overloading it.

Biwiring simply entails running two sets of speaker wire from the amp to the speaker (one set goes to the woofers, the other set to the tweeter) -- which doesn't change how much power the tweeter gets over a single wire set. What the tech told you really doesn't make any sense. Maybe he was thinking of biamping, which means using separate power amps, or the using the left-over power amps from a 7.1 receiver on a 5.1 set-up to biamp the mains (an amp for the woofers and an amp for the tweeter) -- which from a power perspective isn't any different than just using a single high powered amplifier. Even in this case, what he told you doesn't make much sense. More often than not, tweeters are damaged from amplifiers that are overdriven, which then send a "clipped" or distorted signal to the speaker. Finally, whether biwired or biamped -- power to the drivers is controlled by the volume control on the preamp or receiver. More power than you need or the speaker is rated for, along with judicious use of the volume controlled is better on all fronts than using an undersized receiver and overdriving it.

Thanks for your input about biwiring. I don't think I have to worry about over powering my speakers and damaging the tweeter. I'm over 50 yrs old and not into ground shakeing music or theater. Loud enough to hear the sound track well is all I need. The difference in the overall sound quaility of my speakers as I mentioned earlier is worth the risk to me.

This is set up in our living room. The room is 12Ft. x 15ft.

My system:

2 RF15s 46hz-20khz 96db 100watt 400watt peak 2 5.25" woofers 1 1" titanium tweeter

1 RC25 69hz-20khz 96db 125watts 500watts peak 2 5.25" woofers 1 1" titanium tweeter

2 RS35s 81hz-20khz 97db 125watts 500watts peak 1 6.5" woofer 2 1" titanium tweeter

2 Polk FXi30 55hz-26khz 89db 100watts 2 5.25" woofers 2 1" tweeters

1 KSW 10 sub

Onkyo 602 85watts per channel

Monster HTS3600 MKII ( I would not be with out one since owning one. Garbage in Garbage out )

Mitsubishi 35" CRT (solid oak cabinet) 20yrs. old gets a great pic.

Pioneer DVD

Directv (not high def.)

• Like 1