Need Advice on Surround Placement

Youthman

• Moderators

I just received my rear mounts from JR.

My theater room isn't 100% ideal due to the double doors being in the way and the double sliding glass door on the left and the long window on the right wall (which you cannot see in the photo). Room was already built when we purchased the home so I didn't have any say so in the design of it.

I will be building riser for the back row that will hold another 3 seats. My plan is to use 2" x 10"'s and 3/4" plywood on top. So once the carpet is added, it will be close to 1" high. If you are looking towards the back wall, the right door will remain closed and the edge of the riser will extend from the far right wall to the left edge of the right door. So the back row will be slightly off center shifted to the right a few inches.

What do you think would be the more ideal position for the RB-35's?

What about the RS-62's?

I'm leaning towards positions 1 on both sets because I think position 2 is going to be too high. If I can figure out some sort of stand that can mount to the wall behind the curtain and extend through the curtain to secure the RS-62 to, that would be ideal so I can mount it to a more correct position. Behind the curtain is a double sliding glass door. I would need to mount something either above or to the sides of the door without obstructing the ability to open the doors when needed. Not sure how to do this. Any ideas? If I cannot do that and have to mount it above the sliding glass door, it will be close to the celing (which isn't ideal at all).

Below are additional diagrams of the room. (ignore placement of the RS-62's. That was an old drawing but you can see where the door is on the right side of the image. They are drawn to scale.

Room is 13' wide x 19' 4" long x 10' high

I need some advice

theater-room-top.jpg

Left Wall Diagram showing window

left-wall.jpg

Right Wall Diagram showing sliding glass door

right-wall.jpg

Both Walls overlayed on top of each other.

both-walls.jpg

post-27215-13819436160406_thumb.jpg

I think you have the right idea with option 1. I've had better sound from the rears with them closer together and just barely above the listening position. As far as your side surrounds, if you go with the RS-62's, you have more "forgiveness" with placement. I have mine about 6 feet off the floor and just slightly behind where we sit and they sound great. Good luck and Happy New Year!!

• Moderators

I've had better sound from the rears with them closer together and just barely above the listening position

Cool, I was worried they would be too close together. This diagram suggests a 60 degree angle from your main listening area. I'll have to brush up on my geometry and calculate what angle they would be at position 1. For some reason, before the HD audio formats came along, THX recommended that you place both back speakers together which I always thought was odd since they both contain descrete, separate sounds.

youth, i thought that drawing i sent you suggested putting the rs-62's just infront of the side door? that way they are 90degrees from you. position 1 for the rear speakers should be the best placement. is there anyway of temp installing them and having a listen? you want to try and keep the surrounds around 5' off the floor. (or 2'-3' above your ears).

good luck

• Moderators

youth, i thought that drawing i sent you suggested putting the rs-62's just infront of the side door? that way they are 90degrees from you.

I cannot find that particular drawing. If I place them on the front side (towards the front wall) of the side door, they will be about 3 - 4 feet in front of the front row. Not too ideal there. If I place them on the back side of the side door, they will be too close to the rear wall and the door will hit them when I open it. Most ideal place is right where the sliding glass door is. I just have to figure out a way to build some sort of support to go behind the curtain and attach the speaker to.

i thought when we did the measurments of the screen vs. distance it moved the couch up quite a bit? now that you are in the house does it seem too forward for you? if you want the pics again, resend me your email and i send them out. i just figured you didn't like the look and wanted something different.

okay, redid some things. first off you never gave me the dimensions of the rear door, so i guessed for this drawing. i then did some new models of speakers. i made some rs-62's and rb-35's. here is how it should look, taking into consideration if all the dimensions are correct.

post-23806-13819436188938_thumb.jpg

the screen in the pic is 110" and thx says you should be 131" from the screen. 110 / .84 = 130.95"

the rs-62's are flush with the side door (front side) and 60" from the floor to the bottom of the speaker. the rf-83's are 12" from the rear wall (measured from the closest corner of the speaker) and 10" from the side wall (measured from the closest corner of the speaker).