SUB-12 OWNERS

HAMP

Believe it or not, the Quintet III's are some incredible speakers. I was a litttle scared at first using the Onkyo 805 on the quintet, but they can handle some power(50watts, 200 peak).

They sound fantastic and I love'em. I plan to upgrade my bedroom from the HTiB and I believe the Quintet III's are too much for a bedroom.

As much bass as a sub-12 can put out the two I have do not overpower the surrounds. They do a great job as surrounds, I wouldn't want them as fronts.

hi, I'm fairly new to this ht thing and found this thread very informative. I've been building my system slow but sure, and am now in the hunt for a sub.Ihave been trying to decide between a svs pb-10 or a sub12. If I can find it for the right price, sounds like the way to go. Anyways, I have a couple of questions maybe you can help me out with. First, would the quintets(for rear speakers) be enough for my liv. room(12x15), or should I look for some S-3s or RS-42s, the RB-xxs are just to tall and big. Secondly, Hamp, how in the world did you get your center speaker to sit on top of your tv? I have a samsung 61inch dlp, the top of it is only about 2 inches wide. my RC-62 is about 24" wide, 12" deep, and the thing weighs about 30lbs! I'm really having trouble finding a stand to fit this under the tv. Thanks for all your advice, Mark

Which mains do you have? Very important for matching your surrounds. Either sub will do good. the amps are close in specs, but I'd go with the 12. Simply because it's bigger than the 10. My 12 definitely hits harder and goes deeper than my 10. No comparison. Seeing as they're about the same price, I say get the 12. I'll let hamp recommend surrounds seeing as he has the quintets.......

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7039527&st=sub+12&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1099395911174

That's a good price for a sub-12.

The Quintet III's are fantastic, the power they can take and the sound they put out... I really love them. Honestly I have not heard the other ones you are talking about, I do know, I don't have to hear them, because the way the quintet's are when I turn up any HD sound, I'm a PROUD owner of the Quintet III's

I have heard of people mixing Definitive Tech's front array and Quintet III's for the surrounds.

The Center Channel I have has a litte adjuster on the rear of it, I am able to sit the C3 on that 2inch lip you spoke of and the adjuster bar will go down to the part behind the 2inch lip to make it sit even or tilt(that's I have mine, with a slight tilt). Mine do not weight as much as yours, 15Lbs I believe.

hi, I have RF-35s for the front. I think I will try the quintets for the rear, the size is right and probably alot less expensive than the others I mentioned. More searching. I have'nt got my system fired up yet. One reason is I dont have a place for the center speaker to go. I'm now thinking I will build my own custom stand. Some of the prices for stands are scary. I know the 35s probably are'nt a perfect match, but I'll get them hooked up and see how they sound. I got the rc-62 sent to me in lieu of an rc-35. I asked here on the forum if I should keep it or get the rc-35 and the consensus was it is a better speaker. Should be close. if not, I,ll have to save up for some rf-82s and move the 35s to the bedroom. Thanks for the info on the sub12, that's as cheap as I've seen it. I'm going to get it. Thanks again, Mark

The front should be the same, but the surrounds can be different then the front 3. The timbre match is only important for the front sound stage.

The Surround are really for a ambient sound and it's not as important. I don't mean to have Def-tech up front and Sanyo's in the rear, now that's way off course.

Glad I could help!

Check this link out, There are alot of set-ups you can check out.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/index.php?action=showallgalleries

It's a nice layout, I am over there at that one alot. You can get some really good idea's

I think it's nearly 700 different HT, some are so creative and some make you wonder why a person even bothered to take a pic of it.

Glad I could help!

Check this link out, There are alot of set-ups you can check out.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/index.php?action=showallgalleries

It's a nice layout, I am over there at that one alot. You can get some really good idea's

I think it's nearly 700 different HT, some are so creative and some make you wonder why a person even bothered to take a pic of it.

Hamp,

Thanks for this link, it helps to see lots of other setups to give me ideas and makes me realize I've got a lot of work to do!!!

One thing I need ideas on is how to organize and hide wires better in the back. I was moving stuff around getting ready for my new Sub 12 and had to stop and laugh at the mess I've got stuffed behind my entertainment center. Shameful. I should start a new thread "show me the back of your HT" instead of the usual show me you HT theme that's been done on here a few times.

So Hamp, I have to ask. You graduated from HTIB, so what made you go Klipsch? Seeing as IMHO you know more than the average Joe when it comes to HT and home audio.......

Well to tell you the truth it's a long story, but I will make it short. I knew the switch from analog to digital would be soon and maybe I should check ino TV's and I knew I wanted a PS3. Knowing the whole HD switch was gonna cost some dough, I bought a 37' HDTV at a fantastic price and gotten a PS3 and thought that was going to be my whole entertainment thing. I really didn't get the PS3 for the gaming it was for the blu-ray, I had seen how clear the blu-ray was over a DVD. I was fine so I thought and I thought WRONG ...... lol

Looking around the internet I came across a deal for the 65' and that deal I swear I DID NOT BELIEVE. I ordered it just to find out what the scam was, turned out not to be a scam.

While at a computer store I came across a RCA refurb HTiB for $99(not the one in the pic), I thought to myself "That would be cute in the bedroom", it's not loud and I would have the speakers closer to my head and I would have the volume down even lower. It really didn't sound bad, the bass filled the room and the surround was cool(all it was was dolby digital, I was using the optical.... lol).

From that I needed something for the big screen and my PS3 and I ordered a Panasonic refurb HTiB(the one you see in the pic) for $160.

Searching the web for cheaper priced blu-ray movies, I somehow came across Blu-ray.com. Did alot of reading and the people over there seem to care more about Klipsch products then at this forum, if you can believe it or not. The people over there are very friendly and knowledgeable about the whole HT thing.

I read about the Onkyo 605, bought it and you can say I caught the upgradities.

Here is the funny part:

I did not plan on spending as much money as I did on my surround sound, as you can see I was cheap with the two HTiB set-ups

I was in BestBuy and looking for an DVD upconvertor. I sales person came to me and we started talking and he offered me the Quintet III's for a nice price. Like I said I knew I wasn't going to pay alot for this stuff, so I started talking mess and talking the price down. I came up with the crazest prices for a whole set. The sales person said "hold on we might can do that, let me ask my boss". When he went to ask his boss, I was thinking "hahahaha that guy is gonna get fired for asking that crazy price". He and his boss came back and said they can do even better and I thought about it and then listen to the set in the audio room. As you can see I bought it all.

I have been on Blu-ray.com for over a year and still learning something new everyday about HT.

Just a few upgrades from that whole story

Onkyo 605 --> Onkyo 805

Quintet III's Center Channel --> Klipsch C3 Center Channel

Even tho I bought the two sub-12 at the same time, I didn't hook the second sub up until 6-8 months later???? I have no idea why, it just sat in the box in my closet.

I will be adding a Emotiva MPS-2 amp to the Klipsch set-up.

Gotta upgrade my bedroom soon:

Onkyo 606 with some Polk 6750's which is the 5.1 and Sony S350 blu-ray player

Hummmm, I guess that story was longer then expected..... Maybe I should have answered your question with:

"I'm just a really smart guy" hahahahahaha

I broke down and got one!

Only paid $325.99 plus tax at BB. Long story short I bought a Harmony One at BB to try it out. If I like it I can pay to much and keep it or order one online cheaper and return it when the other arrives. Kind of a crappy thing to do but BB and I have history. They screwed me once on a TV extended warranty repair so I have no guilt about using their return policy to the max. The salespeople there use it as a closing tool saying "take it home and try it, you've got 30 days to return it..." so again no guilt!! Anyway the Harmony One went on sale for $50 cheaper this week and I'm within that 30 day price match on it. The person that rang me up was in management so must have the power to hand out discounts like candy because when I mentioned that I noticed the change in price on the remote he said "rather than look that receipt up why don't I just take another $50 off the sub" So if I return the remote I still keep the $50 extra off the already low sale price of $375.99.

I can't play with it tonight though. My son is already in bed so I'll have to wait until tomorrow evening to compare it with the Sub 10. I still have both my Sub 10s as well. I have a few weeks left on my 30 return period on my second 10. I just know I'm going to end up with a second 12. I should just go buy it now while its still on sale... This is an addiction. I wonder if my insurance would cover it if I went to treatment for it?

post-33518-13819437987466_thumb.jpg

Is this true only in the HT aspect? What about listening to music?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question

I'm saying that timbre match of the rears may not matter when using them as surrounds watching a movie but what about listening to music with them. Then wouldn't the timbre match be more important?

I broke down and got one!

Only paid $325.99 plus tax at BB. Long story short I bought a Harmony One at BB to try it out. If I like it I can pay to much and keep it or order one online cheaper and return it when the other arrives. Kind of a crappy thing to do but BB and I have history. They screwed me once on a TV extended warranty repair so I have no guilt about using their return policy to the max. The salespeople there use it as a closing tool saying "take it home and try it, you've got 30 days to return it..." so again no guilt!! Anyway the Harmony One went on sale for $50 cheaper this week and I'm within that 30 day price match on it. The person that rang me up was in management so must have the power to hand out discounts like candy because when I mentioned that I noticed the change in price on the remote he said "rather than look that receipt up why don't I just take another $50 off the sub" So if I return the remote I still keep the $50 extra off the already low sale price of $375.99.

I can't play with it tonight though. My son is already in bed so I'll have to wait until tomorrow evening to compare it with the Sub 10. I still have both my Sub 10s as well. I have a few weeks left on my 30 return period on my second 10. I just know I'm going to end up with a second 12. I should just go buy it now while its still on sale... This is an addiction. I wonder if my insurance would cover it if I went to treatment for it?

Good story and a great deal. I don't know if you know this or not, but you can get your second sub-12 for that same price at BB. Just show your receipt and BB will price match thier own. I know it sounds funny, but that's how they do it. or you can say something like "I am thinking about adding a second one to make it two, can I get a deal on both of these?"
  • Like 1

I'm saying that timbre match of the rears may not matter when using them as surrounds watching a movie but what about listening to music with them. Then wouldn't the timbre match be more important?

With music, it's not as important. It's very important for the front 3 to match, so you can have the best front sound stage. The reason it's so important to have all 3 match is of course for you sound stage.

Your sound stage should basically be like this:

If you close your eyes and listen to a movie. When a person in the movie is walking and talking at the same time and they move from the left side to the right side, You should not be able to tell that the sound went from your LEFT speaker to the CENTER channel to the RIGHT speaker, but with your eyes closed you should be able to tell they moved from left to right.

Different reasons you should not be able to tell that the sound went from your LEFT speaker to the CENTER channel to the RIGHT speaker:

Timbre matching includes making sure the bass tone and level are identical, The Voice tone is Identical in all three. With some speaker makers we know that bass can be a little different, You wouldn't want a expensive center channel with nice deep bass with 2 towers and the bass sounds like "Tap Tap". With your eyes closed you will hear "Tap Tap" from the LEFT speaker to some "Boom Boom" from the CENTER and "Tap Tap" to the RIGHT, that equals a terrible sound stage.

• Like 1