La Scala speakers

rp2115

I have a set of 1977 La Scala speakers that were used in a karaoke business my husband owned. He died in 2007, and I am now getting ready to sell the speakers and other equipment. I don't know how much to ask for the speakers, and I'm hoping that someone here could help me determine a good price for them. If someone could please let me know what info I need to post in order to get some help with this, I would really appreciate it. I can furnish pictures too.

Thank you!

First off sorry for your loss.Location and Photos would help of all sides and of the back so you can see the crossovers and if there is any damage and one of the serial # 's . If you are not going to keep them then this is the place to sell them as someone will take very good care of them also you will want to post the photos in the Garage Sale section.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I agree with the comments above (but "Sunday"?).

The Garage Sale section is what I'd do. I've bought and sold some equipment though communication via the forum without any problem. I consider the folks either friends, or friends I have not made yet. Certainly it is less complicated and risky than E-Bay.

Also, this forum is the home of people who are most interested in making such a purchase. It can be otherwise dangerous to ask a bunch of potential buyers to state what is a fair price. In the case of the fellows here, I would rely on them because there is more likely to be competition. Of course the conditions of the units is a major issue.

In my view: A moderately beat up but structurally and electrically sound pair which have not be modified, has a lowest value of around $700. Things go up from there, Smile. Others here may differ.

The weight of these are going to be an issue. Shipping is too costly. It is just about expected that you'll ask for local pick-up. You're on the West Coast? A given buyer and seller will have to trade off cost of travel, etc. A buyer in your area should pay a bit of a premium. Things change if you have original boxes (shipping issue), but you've not mentioned that.

In your position, I'd ask for cash or equivalent and give the buyer a chance to test and inspect in your home. Presumably you can say you have no reason to suspect the drivers are damaged. But if the buyer, in good faith, finds some electrical issue, some horse trading on the spot may be necessary.

Best,

Wm McD

Like everyone here, I'm sorry for your loss. I should also be clear that I'm far from being an expert on this subject, but I've noticed the prices for almost all vintage audio gear I watch for has been dropping of late. No doubt it's the economy. Case in point I bought a pair of LaScala's for $800 not long ago, that on a scale of 10, I'd give a 9. The only really bad thing about them was the less desireable type AL crossovers. Yeah, I had to drive all of 30 miles to pick them up, but it wasn't long ago these would have gone for $1500 easy. I guess what I'm saying is if you can hold on to them for a little while longer it's possible you may fetch a higher dollar for them in the future.

Good Luck.

Thank you all for your kind words and your suggestions. You have no idea how much I appreciate the help you are giving me.

I have found out some more info about the speakers. I don't know if this is needed or not, but here it is....the speakers are 3-way concert loudspeakers with 100 watts rms, 500 watts max, 104db spl. I will be glad to find anything else I can if it's needed. Pictures of each of the speakers (front and back) are posted in the Garage Sale section. Please let me know if they help.

Thanks again..........