RF-7's and a RC-64CH

RickZler

I have a pair of mint RF-7's with hardly any sonic time on them. This was one of the last pairs before they rolled out the RF-8 line. I was hoping to set up my home theather with the a RC-7 center channel speaker and the rest of the RF-7 reference line of speakers. I decided to wait for H.D.M.I. 1.3a and buy a new Denon 5803-CI instead because all my sources use H.D.M.I. 1.3a as output. So now I'm ready to finish my H.T. but was wondering how the Timbre matching was between the Ref-7 fronts and the RC-64CH center channel speaker. I know that you should always match in sets but I can't justify getting rid of my Ref-7's with just a few dozen hours on them with low power.They're like brand new out of the box. I was thinking about trying to find a RC-7online but the difference in time used would probably cause a issue since by Rf-7's aren't even sonically broken in. Also when you buy online (E-Bay) how could you possibly know that you aren't getting ripped. Anybody using the Ref-7's with the RC-64CH while waiting to update to the 83's? Any opinions will be greatly appreciated and thanks much in advanced.

Thanks

RickZler

• Moderators

Hey Rick, welcome to the forums. I'd say, keep the RF-7's. They are fantastic speakers as well as the RF-83's are. The RF-83's are a little smoother and refined where some found the RF-7's to be a little too much in your face and "live". I love them both. As far as "time used being an issue", I don't think there is a problem with that. There is much debate about there even being a "break in period" for speakers. I myself do not buy into it and since it cannot be proven, I tend to lean towards the fact that your ears and brain get used to the sound, therefore you believe it sounds different after you have had them for awhile. I would look for a good used RC-7. I'm not big on Ebay but that would be an option. I picked mine up on Craigslist and it was in excellent condition physically and sonically. Another place to look is here in the garage section. They pop up from time to time usually anywhere from $350.00 to $450.00.

If you decide to get a RC-64, I was going to suggest Vanns but it looks like they are out of stock on the Cherry RC-64. They were selling them for $599 with free shipping. Great price.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Wescott and I did that test. He has a 5.1 RF 7 HT system which was featured in The Home Theater Magazine last year.( you need to check it out)

We did not like the set up much, it was not bad but the RC 7 was a much better match for the RF 7

I would recommend that you keep looking for an RC 7 if you can.

The funny thing is we did the same test with my RF 83 , a RC 7 with a dean X-over upgrade , a normal RC 7 and the RC 64.

I could barely hear the difference between the Dean x-over upgraded RC 7 and the RC 64. They both did a good jo.

Youthman is correct regarding his description of the RF 7 VS the RF 8 series