SVS PC Plus 20-39 - Port Blocking???

RayoVac

Obviously a question for SVS Cylinder owners other there.

I have a PC+ 20-39 with 12.3 upgrade, and have been wondering about improvments that may or may not be percieved by blocking one of the ports and setting it down to 16hz?

I know... someone will post "Try it and see how it sounds". [:^)] I am hoping some folks have tried it and might have some feedback on results. I mainly use my system for HT so the impact during movies is important. My conern with the blocking would be a lowered SPL.

O.K. so I may be to lazy or not brave enought to try it... so if you have done it... is it worth screwing with? Or should I just leave it alone?

Also while we are talking cylinders... anyone have a PC13 Ultra? Thoughts, Comments? I have been considering an upgrade....

Rayo

I have a PC+ 16-46. I emailed SVS a while back and asked about which crossover setting to use. They said due to room gain 20Hz was actually their recommended setting and only the very, very lowest of frequencies would be reduced but overall a higher SPL. I ran it that way until I bought my Hsu MBM-12 and now changed it back to 16Hz mode.

With your 20-39 they might even recommend putting it in 25Hz mode for even higher over SPL.

I don't have a PC13 Ultra, but I am selling my 16-46 to help pay for dual CS-Ultras. See my ad in the For Sale section. [Y]

I don't have the cylinder subs but I do have a PB-Ultra and a PB-Plus. For a long time I had them tuned to 25hz until recently I switched some equipment around. I've found that tuning them to 16hz allows them to play much cleaner. Crossing them over at 60hz with RF-7's has worked out very well.

My conern with the blocking would be a lowered SPL.

Another thing........when I blocked the ports and tuned the subs to 16hz......the way that the deep bass pressurizes the room is incredible, especially for movies.

Don't make the same mistake I made at first. Turn the subs crossover all the way up or disable it if it has the option and use the receiver to set the crossover point. At first, I was setting the sub the same as the receiver and found out that was a no no. Doing so was restricting the output of the sub.

After correcting this and tuning the subs to 16hz I've been amazed a what the SVS's are capable of. [:D]

My conern with the blocking would be a lowered SPL.

Another thing........when I blocked the ports and tuned the subs to 16hz......the way that the deep bass pressurizes the room is incredible, especially for movies.

Don't make the same mistake I made at first. Turn the subs crossover all the way up or disable it if it has the option and use the receiver to set the crossover point. At first, I was setting the sub the same as the receiver and found out that was a no no. Doing so was restricting the output of the sub.

After correcting this and tuning the subs to 16hz I've been amazed a what the SVS's are capable of. Big Smile

SWL.

Thanks for the info. I will have to look, I think I can turn off the sub X-over and use the settings in my pre-amp. Your comments are intresting... I will block a port tonight and set it to 16hz and see how she feels.

Rayo