Wright Sound Phono Amp

thewolf

Looking for any comments/reviews on the Wright WPP200C phono amp. My 2 channel set-up is a Yamaha M-85 SS amp, Juicy Peach pre, Rega P3 TT w/Dynavector 10x5 all channeled through a set of LaScala's.Ideally, I would prefer a Tercel (would match up well with the Peach) but they are getting too hard to find and my patience is running out. Anyone have any experience with the Wright Sounds equipment? Looking for some real life comparisons to the Tercel if possible.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary, I cannot give you any direct comparisons, but I do own similar equipment from both companies. I have a WPL20, which is essentially the phono stage you're asking about built into his WLA12 linestage. It sounds great! I have it mated with his SET monoblocks and enjoy the sound very much, very resolving.

I also have a JM Blueberry Extreme and like it very much as well. I usually have it mated with NOS Valves VRDs but I have a pair of Pcats on the way (thanks LeeW!) and am really looking forward to the pairing. I have two systems, one with a set of Khorns and one with a pair of Cornwalls. I been changing around a fair amount lately, to enjoy different sounds.

As far as the Tercel, I can't help you, but I don't think you could go wrong with either company. I think they are similar in their philosophies, which is to bring audiophile quality sound at relatively affordable prices. Giant killers in a way. They're locally produced products from stand-up guys. As far as build quality, I think I'd give the edge to Mark Deneen, although I must admit I've never seen George's premium series except in photos and have never heard those amps.

Not sure where Eldorado Hills, CA is, but I live in Oakland and would be happy to have you over for an audition of either system.

Good luck in your journey.

Darrell

I have one, it is the early version of the WPL that is encased in the chassis of a WPL10V (so it has two channel volumes labeled "Volume" and "Balance") because George didn't have the new chassis yet.

I use it with Wright 3.5 SET monoblocks and LaScalas for two channel vinyl listening exclusively - absolutely wonderful!

The Wright phono preamps are "active" in the sense that they have gain and push a pretty good level to the power amps. This does not work with all types of power amplifier. They seem to prefer pushing a lower gain power amp rather than providing a more passive signal for a higher gain power amp to drive.

Some professional reviews seem to have discovered the same thing.

I have the wright wpp100 which was the phono pre he sold before the 200. I no longer use it as I have the Blueberry. I liked it very very much. I did have some issues with microphoncs and tube wash but nothing to extreme. I would still be using but I needed more room on my audio shelf hence the move to the BBX. I would say that the wright was on the lush side and not quite as articulate as the phono stage in the BBX which is basically a tercel ( I think). I dont know a lot about the whys and wheres in terms of design but the wright has a lot more tubes to do the same thing that the Tercel does with fewer.

Josh

Hey Darrell...congrats on your pcats! I'm trying to figure out a good saturday in feb to host a get together.

Josh

Hey Josh,

Any weekend in February, other than the first one, is good for me.

I'm a believer in synergy within audio components. I remember in our ('07? !) shootout when we hooked up the W 3.5s with the Blueberry at the end, I was disappointed with the results. I'm very happy to have a Wright system and a Juicy Music system coming together. I would agree with all the posters that the Wrights seem more prone to tube issues. I've rolled quite a few tubes in both the pre and the two pairs of SET amps and the quality of tubes DOES make a big difference in them. I think George is a bit frugal in some of the internal components he uses, I know some folks who have gone inside and upgraded caps, for instance.

Darrell