How is a tweeter put in a midrange driver?

videoCWK

Hi guys. I know this is a Klipsch board and all, but I don't know any other hifi message boards.

Anyway, I'm curious as to how a tweeter inside a midrange driver works. I know various speakers have done it (I've seen it on a pair of Insignias at Best Buy and I think Thiel does it in one of their pairs), but I can't find anything on how such a thing could work. Thanks in advance.

Guest David H

In some or possibly all cases these speakers used multiple drivers. One mounted inside another. At one point and time Klipsch mounted a K-77 tweeter vertically in a large wooden horn, This is a perfect exaple of how it can be done. from what I have read this arrangement solves many phase relationship issues.

I haven't seen the speakers you describe, but typically coaxial drivers are connected through the magnet pole piece of the larger one. Historicaly tweeters were mounted inside woofers. The center pole piece of the woofer was extended through the center dust cap and the tweeter was bolted to it.

I'm sure we'll answer your queations, but you can also try the Audio Asylum and AudioKarma.

Isn't this what was done with the Jubs ???

I don't know if they are 2" or what ...but what ever they are, it seems the tweeter driver (K69) and the midrange driver (K1132) are both the same size at the outlet. Since that is the case, either one will simply bolt to the K402 horn using the same bolt pattern. I once asked Roy if the K402 was being under utilized since it was 'only' connected to a tweeter driver and not a midrange.

He said essentially the opposite. Since we're using the K402 from 500hz on up, that we are in essence, using more of its capabilities than the 3 way system that uses the 1132 driver. I don't know the crossover points on the 3 way unit but we'll just say it's 500 hz up to 3,000 and that's why we're using "more" of the horn.

Regarding the next:

From What I read it needs lots of EQ

There IS eq used in the Jubilee. I don't think that has ever been obfuscated.

lets see if I can come up with a different answer that has nothing to do with the question........the diaphragm in an mr10 is the same as the diaphragm in a t-35, so is that a tweeter inside a mid range driver.

the how the drivers works question would depend if it is a ribbon, coil+magnet, pizo, etc.