Upgrade to KG4'S

cokid

An opinion please? There is a pair of KG4's in oak on craigslist locally. Look real clean from pictures. $150.00 I have RF15s front dual 5.25", RC25 for center dual 5.25", RS35 6.25" surrounds and Onkyo 602 amp 85 watts per.. Do you think the KG4s would work with this setup?

• Like 1

kg4s arehighly regarded, plenty of bass, two way speakers and that price...if they are how you describe...is a steal...although just a bit less efficient as your RF-15s...they should stomp them in the bass department...at that price, buy them all day long and twice on Sunday...

Bill

Welcome.

a couple of things to think about.

Though the KG4's are a good speaker, you will find out

1. They have a different sound than the RF 15's.

2. They are only 6 Ohm instead of 8 Ohm which though small, requres more power to achieve a cleaner sound.

3. If you were looking to use these as a Second setup-I'd say jump on them. If your looking to improve or upgrade, stay with the reference

and go up to the RF 82, RF63 or RF 83 line.....................JMHO.

I am currently using KG4's as my mains in my HT (while I wait to purchase RF-63's or can the whole thing and go Heritage) and they work very well with an RC-64 center and RB-51's at the rear. Fairly good timbre match and although they are different from the Reference line they are a two way design just the same. The bass is very impressive and that price you cannot go wrong. Some (such as mine) are 6 ohm, and others were rated at 4 or 8 (I don't recall), but as I remember it was the same speaker just measured differently. I've owned mine since new and will never sell them, I'll always find someplace for them.

• 3 months later...

Just to add to what Bill H. said, some of the early KG-4's are 4 ohm. Mine are.

hy ,there is not kg 4 of 6 ohms or wherever . they are 4 ohms .but .... my crossover print said 6 ohms . tell me about ...

When speaking with Klipsch about the 6 vs. 4 ohm KG4's, they indicated that all KG4's are 6 ohm speakers, but several sets were labeled 4 ohm that were meant for export due to different standards. My beloved KG4's (my first Klipsch I purchased 20+ years ago in college) are also labeled 4 ohm. They still sound great with my old Nakamichi Stasis amp.