Preamp Recomendations

doogie67

I wouldn't bother with a preamp right now if I were in your shoes. You would be using it as a volume control mostly, and you can do that with your level controls. If you don't mind plugging and unplugging when going back and forth from CD and iPod. If you ever get into records seriously, then it would be a good time to move into a preamp. In the meantime, you could get a little $10 or $20 phono preamp like they have on eBay all the time and that will be okay.

For the lowest of budgets go with a passive attenuator, even for about $20 of Radio Shaft parts you can make a decent passive. An Alps potentiometer is the next step up. Then stepped attenuators and gold plated rca plugs are a step further, maybe in the $100 range. I have done each of these myself along with a Halfer preamp kit. Added an inexpensive solid state phono pre on one system, other system has a home built tube phono preamp.

I found the thread! Click Here-----> LINKY

Oh Yeah!

Welcome, we are glad you are here. We were all new to this hobby at one time, so don't worry about asking questions, that is how we all learn. The only stupid question, is one that isn't asked!!! [:S]

Dennie[:D]

Someone started a thread about this one, a while back. I think it us under $300! Click the--------> LINKY

Dennie

Doood! That is the coolest, most affordable stuff I've come across so far! If it sounds half as good as 10x its cost (?!?) I'm loadin' the boat! I was getting depressed at how much the low-production, custom-cottage-industry gear is goin' for.