La Scala tube amp question

roddey

I am trying to make a decision on which amp to use with the La Scala. I got the A-OK[li] from the boss. We all know who that is when it comes to home audio[;)]

Should I go with a single ended 300b class A tube amp or build Bob latino's St-120 60 watt channel dynaco clone ran in triode mode?

Any experiences?

Also is there any plans for building a sub woofer box that the la scala would fit on top of. I am limited on room for 2 subs. If not could someone suggest a sub in the 3-400 dollar range(used). I can use one sub but would rather have 2 that would be the same demintions as the la scala and it would just fit under the la scala and look like part of the same speaker. Thanks, Rod

Where are you located...maybe someone has a setup with each and you can listen and make a choice.......

The only sub I know of made to fit underneath a LaScala is the KP-480. It's about 2ft high, so that would in a pretty tall setup (2ft+3ft=5ft).

OK thanks I will look for those subs. Height is OK for me. Just not the width. I will have 2 La Scala with either 2 Forte 2 or 2 heresy as center channels. With 2 subs It will be kinda tight. Oh ya and a 120 inch screen. I also live by Chico, California. Thanks everyone. Rod

I have a Bob Latino VTA 120 amp (60 WPC Dynaco clone).............and I have been very happy with it. It sounds very detailed on my lascalas. I use it to run the speakers in my avatar presently with a JMA Peach preamp. It is a little powerhouse, has been reliable, and has very good high and low end extension. For the money I call it a best buy.

I had a forum member bring over some SET tube equipment once and tried the stuff on all my different Heritage speakers (heresys, corns, las, Khorns). I liked the SET sound and understand the allure, but the lack of power turned me off. It was incapable IMHO. HOWEVER.......That is just me though because I prefer to listen at higher levels and like having considerably more power. You just might prefer the lower powered tube sound.

You should try and get a listen to some of these options before purchasing.

Guest David H

I have to agree with the Latino ST-120, the 300b set amps are impressive for 8watts, but I get the feeling they are going to be a let down when you really want to rattle the walls. I am currently running the Dared vp-20 6L6 amp at 18wpc. To be perfectly honest this is the minimum power I would even consider.

Does the ST-120 come with a triode/ultralinear swithch like the St-70? Or strictly triode?

I am in Vacaville which is about an hour and a half from you and you are welcome to hear 14 watt push pull Heathkit amps pushing my LaScalas. I think this amount of wattage is perfect for the LaScalas and the sweet sound of Mullard EL-84's definately do it for me. I get to very high levels with with this setup. It is loud enough for a dance party actually. I think 60 watts per channel would be too much.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

where do i get the plans for the Bob latino's St-120 60 watt channel dynaco clone ?
thanks

Bob sells a kit....i would be tough to put together your own kit for less.