Thanks to mobile, I have caught the vinyl bug!

Mike Lindsey

There was once a time when the only thing I listened to was vinyl. From the time I purchased my first stereo in 1978 while stationed in Germany, until CD's became the popular choice in 1983, vinyl was all I ever listened to. During the 4 years I was in the Air Force I bought close to 600 albums and until this week, I could count the number of albums I played since my discharge on one hand. The sound I remember on my old Sansui G8000/Dual CS-721 w/Shure V15III/Infinity Column IIs was a very warm sound that I had been missing and wanted to recapture.

When I finally decided to fire up the old Dual... nothing happened. It was dead! After taking it in to a shop, they told me that the motor ceased up... basically from inactivity. I decided to go after a turntable from eBay and found a nice Dual CS-5000 for sale and bought it. This unit came with a Shure V15V-MR cartridge which retailed for around $275 when new. I have every intention of setting this turntable up with my 2-channel system in my bedroom, which will consist of my 76 Heresys and a tube amp/preamp to be named later. Since this room isnt ready yet, I decided to hook the turntable up to my HT system which consists of a Denon 4800 used as a pre-pro, and a Acurus A200X3 amp driving a pair of Chorus Is.

Upon listening via the phono input on the Denon, I was a little disturbed. It didnt sound very good at all. No highs, no lows and very little in between. I wasnt sure if it was the turntable, cartridge, tonearm, stylus or phono stage on the Denon that was the culprit. After talking with mobile about my plans for this 2-channel system, he found a nice AES PH-1 phono stage out on AudiogoN that I ended up getting. This is my first venture into tubes but Im sure it wont be my last. After connecting my Dual to this unit and using the CD input, what a difference! Night and day between the Denons phono stage! The only complaints are the obnoxious blue light on the front of the faceplate and an annoying hum at loud volumes. After reseating the tubes and changing the input to AUX on the Denon, the hum only appears around 95-100 db. And at that volume you cant hear it anyway. For those of you that arent happy with the sound from your turntable, you may want to look at getting an external phono stage. Im sure there are others but I think the PH-1 is a pretty good starting point.

After posting a thread on the Vinyl Asylum about this turntable/cartridge combination, I got a lot of interesting advice. For one thing, I realized that my Tracking Force/Anti-Skating Force were nowhere near where they should have been and what a HUGE difference that made! I do not have a dedicated CD player on this system and am currently using my Panasonic DVD-RP91 for that duty, but I can honestly say that I like the sound coming from my turntable better. Its warmer and doesnt feel so compressed. I am amazed by the amount of bass I am getting and I am not even using my SVS Sub. The other thing I was advised to do was to replace the stylus and to pick up a Stylus Tracking Force Gauge. They mentioned a poor or damaged stylus could ruin a record collection in a hurry. I figured while I was at it, I might as well order the Hi-Fi News and Stereo Review Test Record to help me dial it in. Lastly, I was told to ditch the VTA (Vertical Tracking Alignment) headshell and go with the lighter black carbon-fiber stock shell, which means I will be attempting to put all of this together when it comes in. That will be a first also. I am very excited about the prospect of making what is already a very good sound, even better.

Thanks again mobile! I look forward to finding the right amp/preamp to drive this combination and Im sure you will play a hand in that as well...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Well, that fact that anything is coming together with that AES PH-1 hooked up to the Denon pre-pro is saying something. Glad the hum is a bit under control.

Smart idea to replace that stylus as its condition is circumspect at best. You evidently got some fine advice from the Vinyl Asylum.

You will be more than shocked when you get the rest of that two channel system up and running. I'm still keeping an eye out for your line stage and tube amp. Great that the vinyl IS coming together already - Just think, you now have about double the choice of software over 90% of the others within here! All those loons that drop kicked their vinyl to the curb or second hand shop... they never thought the heyday of vinyl reproduction would be down the road. WE actually have better analog replay gear now then any other time.

And as I have said, and others have disagreed with staunchly, there is nothing quite like vinyl, tubes, and horns; they really go well together. But I have to admit, it sometimes isnt easy to get it in top shape. And when analog is bad....baby, it can be mighty mediocre. Hence, you have the loon with his $200 CD player stating that "records are crap man." Yep, they are in that situation..

But when right, it eats digital alive. Havent heard it? Then I guess it doesnt exist, knowhatimsayin?

heh.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

I recently starting thinking vinyl again. I purchased one of my all time favorite live albums on CD around Christmas...Little Feat "Waiting for Columbus". I have the Original Master Recording version on vinyl (in storage for years)and was extremely disappointed in the CD version sound quality. Definitely not what I remember from 25 years ago. I dug up my old B&O turntable last weekend sifting through a flooded storage area, but alas, it looks to be beyond salvage. Now my thoughts are turning to a new/used turntable, a separate 2-channel system using my KLF-30's, a nice tube or SS amp, a good record cleaner/restorer for those 500+ lp's in (dry) storage, a new HT system with some RF-7's and an RSW-15 subwoofer, yada,yada,yada. The wife is just going to LOVE my latest idea on how to spend money!

PhilH