New house theater issues...

Joe Shmoe

Well, it's looking like this is the house we will be moving into in about a month or so, as soon as we close. This is the original home we liked because of area, layout etc.. however trying to figure out in my mind ahead of time where to enjoy movies has me a little frustrated.

I attached a few pictures to better explain my dilemma... I have two choices for the front part with TV & Speakers and that would be either the North wall or the East wall, preference being the East wall to avoid traffic from the boys walking back and forth. Problem is where to put the surrounds. I have the KSP S-6's and really no wall space to hang them above & behind the listening area due to the slider, or various door openings. I'm thinking maybe just using some sort of moveable stands?

post-13769-13819437956006_thumb.jpg

East wall probably better to keep light off your screen from the south wall also.

KSP-S6's on the SIDE walls. Above ear height, either in front of, beside, or behind the seating position. ANYWHERE on the side walls really and you'll be fine.

Congrats on the new crib mang!

Michael

Thanks guys! And actually I will be a little closer Picky... only by about 5-10 miles BUT that would qualify as closer [;)]

I thought of the East wall also, but placement of the KSP S6's would be difficult. I don't like the idea of placing them in front of the seated area, and the optimal spot on the South wall would be in the center of the slider, and theres a doorway to the mechanical area on the North wall. I will have to take some measurements next time I am out at the house to better give you the dimensions.

Hey, Joe,

Any chance of relocating doors, like on the west wall into what appears to be a bedroom? If that door could be removed and relocated closer toward the south wall (left), you would be set for the system on the west wall with the traffice pattern from the stairs to the slider passing through in front of the system where space is unused any way. The surrounds could then be mounted to the sides without the duct problem.

• 1 month later...

This is where it got a little tricky... I cut out a section of door casing & replaced it with a piece of poplar I cut & routered to fit snugly in the opening. I made sure to router holes & pockets in the back so the KSP-S6 would fit flush up against the board.

post-13769-13819464214962_thumb.jpg

Here's what I used for cable solutions along the front wall. I need to get the speaker wire to the left surround, and that meant going up over the door to get into the adjoining mechanical room. I found this stuff at Home Depot, not bad stuff at all! It comes in 5' lengths and has an adhesive backing.

post-13769-13819464216826_thumb.jpg

Thanks Downunder! It's still in the early stages, I would like to do something else along the front wall and am thinking of having built in shelving along the North wall for movie storage. I'm also pondering some sort of damping material?