Monoblocks & Heresy's = Harshness

doogie67

I am new to this hobby so bear with me. I just bought a pair of Ampex Monoblocks and I have them hooked up to a set of recapped Heresy 1's. The sound is very harsh mids that hurt my ears and no bass. I have a Sony cd player going into the input and I am using the tone level control as a volume control. Am I doing something wrong?

and no bass

Are the woofers working? I'd start there. Then again, I don't think Heresy's are going to cause any cracks in your foundation either. I would at least expect them to sound balanced and it doesn't seem that they do, given your comments.

I don't know the Ampex monoblocks, maybe you can explain your food chain better... you hvae your CD player hooked directly up to the Ampex? You are then using your 'tone' control as a volume? This is on your Sony? I didn't know they had a tone control... or is this just the variable output they have?

I think we have figured it out. There are two screws on the amp with tone written next to it. I guess the console that these came from had an external tone control. So when I played it with my CD player the tone was maxed. We (me and my tech guy) are going to build a tone control and give it a try. I new the Heresy's were not the problem because I tried them on a reciever and they worked fine. we found a schematic and it showed us what was missing.