Center Speaker and Wire Size

BGCID

3 part question and looking for advice! Home theatre setup and going to go with either the SB-2 or SB-3 for front speakers and either RB-3 or RS-3II for surround. Anyway, local dealer suggested that I upgrade to the center channel RC-3II regardless of which one I go with.? Also, new house so is 12# gauge speaker wire sufficient on 50 foot runs with a Denone AVR3802? One last one, he recommended the Definitive Technology PS100 for my sub.? Thanks for any input, advice etc!

BGCID:

Welcome to the Forum! The front channels of a system are the most important in matching sound between the channels. Therefore, you want a center channel speaker with, preferably, the same mid/high frequency driver(s) as the front mains. This allows a smooth blend of sound from left to right and vice versa. With SB-2's or SB-3's I recommend the matching SC-1 as the best center choice. As far as the rears, the SS.1's again are the best tonal match for the SB-2's and 3's. You could go with the RS-3II's but, again, it wouldn't be a perfect tonal match to the fronts. The SS.1's would be best if you will use the system to play a lot of movies since the SS.1's give you both the ambient and direct sounds needed for Home Theatre. If you mainly use the system for the 5-Channel Stereo feature you have on your Denon receiver, then go with SB-2's or SB-3's to, again, match the sound of your front speakers. Those in the rear with their direct-only sound are best for music.

PhilH

Just curious - If you're willing to buy RB-3s for the rear, wouldn't they make better front speakers than the SB-2/3? Then you could use the RC-3 center for a nice match across the front, and use the SB-2/3 for rears (or the SS-1 or RS-3). As Phil alludes to, it also depends on your interest in 5 channel music versus HT.

Doug

Edit: Corrected Bob to Phil, so that historians of the future will look kindly on this Crazy Poster.

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by dougdrake2 on 02-11-2002 at 06:05 PM

Hey, Doug, that "Bob" is "Phil"... this from a guy who unwittingly put Speedbump analogies in the wrong bedroom. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa.

Oh, yea, and Jim, unvarnished congrats to you and the Mrs. on the blessed event. Redface.gif HornEd the Red

cwm40.gifWith appologies to Phil and his brethern, IMHO the most important HT speaker is the center... that's what handles the traffic... unless you use a phantom... only then to the mains become most important. I can only hope that future generations of Klipsch center speaker engineers discover that it takes more than matching tweeters, horns and tappered array slight of woofers to make a center the anchor that 5.1 intends it to be. Any less of a center than the mains and you are skimping on the HT and, to a lesser extent, the 5-channel music experience to accomodate fashion, space or budget constraints. Yep, my neighbors will attest the A/B comparisons made on three different Klipsch rigs right here in this house. Hey, gang, we're all on the same side, I just have heard the glory of the coming of five-channel salvation (no blasphemy intended toward Klipsch or a Supreme Being on this wavelength). HornEd

PS to BGCD: My sister has been THE kindergarten teacher in Potlatch, ID, for about thirty years... she and her movie loving, elk raising hubby will attest to the above statement. And, oh yeah, 12 gauge does fine, but I prefer gold contacts to fight corrosion and oxygen free copper. HornEd T... naw, that's too far out.

===========================================

Brain MUST Be Engaged Before Shifting Into EAR!

===========================================

"Where Klipsch Legends Cavort Six Ways to Someday!"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main

SB-2's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra subs, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

in constant homage of the Eternal Tweak!

Music Respite Room: Vintage Cornwall's in Transition

Klipsched Class "A" Motorhome: On the road testing

This message has been edited by HornEd on 02-11-2002 at 02:29 PM

BGCID,no one addressed the sub question so I will.

My mum-in-law has the Definitive Technology Pro Cinema system with the Pro Sub 100.Listened just a couple days ago and I still say the set-up is unbelievable for what it is.However I would not recommend the PS100 with the speakers you are looking at.

You mentioned HT so while I'm here I'll give you my opinion,for free.If you like the sound of the RB3's then I would go for them along with the matching center and surrounds.Check out the new Reference subs and if too pricey,look at the Paragigm PW-2200.

Great receiver BTW.

Good luck.

Keith