Refinishing speaker cabinets

convicted21

Soory for the delay... My Colter-Alarm batteries died from the cold weather....[;)]

The "black" ash is a OPEX/Valspar semi-gloss lacquer primer, a #40 sheen black production lacquer (SSG) with a #40 sheen clear coat. You can try to match it with some store bought semi-gloss lacquer, but dependent on the scratches, dings, etc, it will probably not match. The best method, if you are going to keep them is to remove the drivers, sand, prep and then either veneer, or do lacquer. Lacquer is a whole different ball game because you have to have the right gun, correct lacquer, know how to mix it/ thin it for spraying, have a safe place to do it, and really practice to get it right.

It can be done.... This post is only my opinion and based on my experience fooling around with that method. I have done a couple pairs of old scrap Heresy cabinets to see what can be done and these are my observations. You will have to make sure the lacquer is thinned at least 20%; the temperature is at least 70 degrees, and you use a very, very good brush (good = expensive...). Before you apply the lacquer, you will need to find a piece of birch or ash plywood (birch is fine), and practice applying the primer, then the lacquer and then a clear coat. You can apply the primer with a roller, but it must be a small (6") cotton very short nap roller. You can also do the lacquer in the same fashion. A topcoat of clear, however, requires the brush. Regardless of how well you do it, you will see some brush strokes when examining up close. Always work with the grain. Rule on brushing lacquer: More lacquer primer, less lacquer SSG and unless you really need to have the clear coat, stop at that point. The key is to make sure the lacquer is thinned. If thinned correctly, it will flow out flat and dry to the touch within about 4-5 minutes at the most. That's why practice and experimenting will be the key.