RF10's or RS42 for Rears??

killerbee

I want to replace my surrounds so I have reference all the way. Heres my issue. I want to be able to run the surrounds, with my fronts when I play 2CH music, at fairly high volume, so they have to be able to take that. I don't really want to compromise much, if any, for HT in doing that, but if it came down to it, I'd rather prioritize the 2ch capabilities. Also I kind of like the idea of having smaller floor models than a mounting a decently sized RS to the wall.

So I'm leaning towards picking up a set of RF10s but I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing and not getting a designed surround speaker like the rs42s. I don't think the rs10 would be adequate. So I guess the bottomline is, would using RF10 as surrounds be better for HT than RS42 would be for music?

THANKS

• Moderators

I want to replace my surrounds so I have reference all the way.

Reference all the way is a good idea. One issue that I see is that you have a mixture of speakers from different series. If you look here, the RF-35's are voice matched with the RC-35 and the RS-35.

I want to be able to run the surrounds, with my fronts when I play 2CH music, at fairly high volume, so they have to be able to take that.

Would you be using the AllChStereo setting on the Onkyo? Guess that's the closes you can get to 2Ch and make use of your rear speakers.

I don't really want to compromise much, if any, for HT in doing that, but if it came down to it, I'd rather prioritize the 2ch capabilities.

Not sure I understand this statement. If you make HT a priority, if you have a 5.1 system, I personally would go with RS speakers for surround. Not sure that the RS line is as ideal for music though. Many prefer direct firing speakers for multichannel music. If you choose to go 7.1, use RS for the side and either a RB or RF for the back surrounds.

So I'm leaning towards picking up a set of RF10s but I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing and not getting a designed surround speaker like the rs42s.

I've personally never been fond of 4.5" speakers. The RB-35's have 8" drivers and the RS-35 has 6.5" drivers.

So I guess the bottomline is, would using RF10 as surrounds be better for HT than RS42 would be for music?

Again, I think you have it backwards. If you want HT, use RS42. If you want 2ch, the RF10 might be a better choice.

Just my opinions, others will hopefully chime in with their suggestions as well.