New bedroom receiver 5.1 HDMI 100 WPC and 154.99.

IndyKlipschFan

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8640465&type=product&id=1195598242555&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=8640465

I had a "Goodwill" eight dollar older receiver that finally was humming bad and dying.. I like Goodwill Industries, Buying things from them helps out people on so many levels. I donate stuff to them all the time.. It's fun to poke around and find things from time to time.

So I started to look for a new replacement a few weeks ago and I was in Best Buy and saw the in house brand Insignia... hmmmm

Is it possible to get all these features at 100 wpc for each channel for all 5 speakers, have audio room correction with the mic, HDMI inputs / outputs etc., etc.? In other words, a lot of good features found on receivers at what? 10 times the price too?

I sat down with the manual. Very well written, easy to understand, and easy to set up the first time without problems. The remote is easy to use if it could add the feature to adjust the cable channels up or down and turn on /off the TV it would be a Home run 100% LOL Now on to a cheap learning remote I will be in heaven!

So how good is it?

It is clean, the surround modes are incredible, and it NEVER sounded this good before in my bedroom. DVD's TV and CD's play wonderful and get this... The radio is good on FM and AM as well. It even has a sleep timer to listen to music up to 90 mins before shutting off.

So far a 10 out of 10 for this system! I realise not everyone has a 5.1 system for their bedroom LOL. But at 154.99 this is a NICE unit to look hard at and save your money to be used elsewhere! HOME RUN!

I own that fine unit myself. I bought it off ebay from one of the resellers that sell Best Buys returns. It was missing the manual (easy pdf download) and the mic for the auto set up (I have one for my Yamaha 663). I paid $62 with free shipping. I wanted a receiver for out in the garage and was ebaying for a cheap one and it dawned on me all the stuff in the same price was pretty old and their days were probably numbered before they died where as this was basically new so better odds.The free shipping made it a no brainer. Also being HDMI compatible is nice which none of the old ones on ebay were.

Would I use is as my primary receiver? NO!!!

For a bedroom, garage, my son's future AV receiver for his room, etc its seems like a great unit for the price.

So it has HDMI, does it carry sound and video or just video? My guess is that the HDMI is for video switching only (because it says HDMI passthrough), and you still need a seperate audio connection.

Not that it's a huge deal, but to me, that's one of the main advantages of HDMI, is that it's a one-cable solution. (Plus the advanced surround formats)

I will go look now..

... From Page 11 of the manual...

"This receiver can output digital video and digital audio signals from the HDMI monitor out of this receiver without passing through any circuits as they were input into the HDMI IN. (The audio signals which are input into the HDMI IN can not be reproduced on this receiver.) It is 1.3 compatible."

So yes, your right!

1) I wonder if you can use the digital out as a connection audio wise to get that audio signal back in? Maybe not... HOW EVER......

2) It does have the External ins of L, C, R, SR, SL, and Sub ins, so get a DVD player with analog outs and use those codecs and be fine even with Blue Ray!

So yes, your right.. But still it can/will work, if you get the right regular or Blu Ray DVD player with analog audio outs. Then you can use the DVD player for any of its sound formats too. I am just using a cheap VCR/ DVD/ CD player at this time upstairs.. but am AMAZED at the separation in my bedroom. (Yes, I am serious.) Use the HDMI VIDEO if you need / want 1080p.

... or you can just run a optical/digital coax from the source into the receiver, and get standard DD or dts. That's assuming you'd be using more than one HDMI source, which it doesn't sound like you would, in which case I'd bypass the receiver altogether and send HDMI to the TV.