RF-5/RF-7 vs new RF82/RF62

Alan Carlson

• Moderators

Me personally, I would take a pair of RF-7's over the RF-82's anyday. With that said, the newer series (RF-82/RF-62) are more laid back and smoother than the older series (RF-5/RF-7). The RF-7's are more live, in your face kind of sound. I like the smootheness of the new series and I love my RF-83's. I would prefer two 10" drivers to two 8" drivers. Just my 2cents for what it's worth.

The RF-7 is far superior to the RF-82. Of course, keep in mind I'm saying that as an RF-7 owner. [H]

Seriously, though, the RF-83 is the replacement for the RF-7, and some people who've heard both prefer the RF-7 over the RF-83, so I can't imagine the 82 being in the same league. That said, going form an RB-5II to an RF-82 would be a nice upgrade. Just the RF-7 would be a bigger upgrade.

Personally, I can imagine parting with my 7's unless I moved to Heritage.

The RF-83 was the replacement of the RF-7 at the top of the reference line. I wouldn't compare my RF-82s to RF-7s, the latter is simply much better. The same applies to the RF-5 (Same horn as the RF-7 for one). Now comparing the RF-3 to the RF-82, then you get into apples to apples. Not that those two lines are meant to be congruent.

• Moderators

It is best to keep all speakers (with the exception of the subwoofer) within the same series. If not possible, at least keep the front soundstage from the same series. If you go with the RF-7's, you should have any problem finding a used RC-7 to match it.

RF-3 = RF-82

RF-5 = RF-63

RF-7 = RF-83

the main difference is the new line up (82,63,83) plays much smoother. Falcon 20x gives a good opinion on this.

you want to try and keep all the front 3 (STOCK, no upgraded crossovers) speakers the same. once you start getting into upgraded crossovers, you can mix and match a little. but to keep it simple, just stick to the matching speakers. check here and they have the "reccemmended ht systems".

to add more information, the surrounds don't make a difference. if you have Reference up front, than any Reference surround speaker will do. i personally like the rs-42's for all my surround duty (in a living room set up).