Shure V15 VxMR

Mighty Favog

O.k. I've seen in more than one place on here that some of you have a Shure V15VxMR phono cartridge. I just got mine today and is it just me or is this thing bass heavy? Not that its a bad thing but not what I expected after retiring my old and trusty V15 Type-V.

To find out for shure I guess I'll have to get a couple of those new fangled 180g audiophile pressingscwm11.gif

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

Tom,

I have the older V15V-MR attached to my Dual CS-5000 and like it a lot. I just recently picked up a AES PH-1 phono stage and that made a huge difference over the one inside my Denon 4800. I also just ordered the non-VTA headshell and a new stylus. What tracking force do you have it set at? Did you uses a gauge to set the force? What phono stage are you using? I too picked up additional bass with this cartridge but mine is very neutral and natural sounding.

Good luck with it,

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Mike,

I'm pretty sure the V-MR is what I had before. I still have it and wish I could find a stylus for it. It sounded just right to me. Mine's on a TT I've had since it was new, a Yamaha PF-800. Really funky tonearm. It's in two seperate pipes from the headshell to the base. I'm told that it housed each of the left and right signals, I dunno. Thankfully I've also got three Yamaha headshells for this thing, their not the standard mounts at all.

The guage I used is an old Ortofon where everything is in metric. It does seem to stick on a measurement, needs a little help to move it. Maybe I'll just order a Shure guage for $20 somewhere. It was tracking at 1.5g, just what the manual calls for while using the static/dust brush. That was before I used the guage. After using the guage the tonearm's weight said it was 1.7g, no matter. At 1.7g it does have a bit more HF but still not as much as the V-MR had. As for a phono stage, it's just using the stock one in the McIntosh C33 preamp.

This may sound odd but I do remember putting in one of the back cartridges, in this case an Ortofon VMS-30 mkII, and it started to sound better (not great) after a couple time using it. Would be nice to know if the RIAA setting is self adjusting for the ol' Mack. But then again, I must be dreaming.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 02-14-2002 at 12:11 PM

Well, when one purchases a new car or bike, there is a need for it to be broken in over 1000km as stated in the manual.

Same goes for a phono cartridge because of the mechanical components in it. Even cone speaker units benefit from breaking in.

Anyway, just continue using it and see if there is a change for the better. If not, then probably the cartridge is not synergistic with the rest of your setup.

quote:

Originally posted by tblasing:

OH NOOO!! Could there be another heated debate?? Phono cartridges need to be broke in too!
cwm4.gif

Thanks guys...

Tom,

You can call Shure Service Dept at 800-516-2525 and tell them your stylus (VN5MR) for the V15V-MR cartridge needs to be repaired. They will tell you to send in the old one with a $20 check and they will mail you a new one (that's what I did but still haven't gotten the new one yet). You can't beat this deal since it retails for $160 although I have found some sites that sell it for $125.

Here are a couple of good sites for Shure products:

http://www.shure.com/

http://www.garage-a-records.com/ (This place has very good prices - just scroll down)

http://www.sloca.com/home/html/products/shurecart_2.html

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/mfglisting.asp?hdnMfg=Shure&MFGID=112 (you can get the stylus gauge here for $19.95)

Let me know how it turns out...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Mike-

I gave Shure a call today and the man in the Service Dept. told me that if they still have the parts to have it re-tipped then it would be a flat fee of $60. I did tell him that I'm not sure if the one I have is a V15V or a V15-MR. The one I have has the Shure name on the front of the stylus, black with white (or silver) lettering.

When I got the new V15VxMR I found that the original box would be a good place to store the old V15 but it would not fit exactly. Each body of the cartridge looks identicle and both have the big "V" on the front it but there must be some small changes in the dimensions.

Please let me know when your comes back. If it matters I've had this (older) cartridge since 1984, if that will narrow down the model number.

Sure would be nice to have another V15 as a spare! If all this pans out I'd like to get another headshell from Yamaha (they charge serious bucks for anything) to have mounted and ready to go. Gee that'll make four cartridges in my stable to choose from....

Thanx,

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 02-14-2002 at 02:15 PM

Mike-

I just talked to Barbara, sounds like a wonderful grandmotherly type.

She confirmed the exchange price. I'm also going to send her the cartridge body to make (Shure) it's a match. Probably be sending it to her Certified Mail.

As far as turnaround goes, she said she usually gets things out the same day she receives them. Me living on the same side of the Mississippi River usually means it'll take a few days to get there and a few days back.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 02-15-2002 at 10:59 AM

Tom,

Glad to hear you're getting it at the same price. I called her on Thursday and she still hadn't received mine, so I will call again tomorrow. I did receive the new headshell for my CS-5000 and took the old headshell off the TT and removed the cartridge, then installed it on the new headshell. When I get the stylus, I will balance the tonearm and then use the tracking force gauge to set the tracking force and anti-skate. I will let you know how it turns out...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Here's another good source for turntable related goods

http://www.needledoctor.com/

He's a local guy thats been in business for as long as I can remember. I've bought from him in the past as has always been fair in pricing. I have a Thorens TD 125 Mk II with the Shure type V-15 type 3 sitting up stairs in the audio closet ( that place where audio related products rest in peace ) now I am thinking maybe I should pull it out and fire it up.

Clint,

Thanks for the tip. I've seen his ads in quite a few publications I got in the last year or so. There is no offense intended in this but, why is he selling the V-15VxMR for $50 more than everyone else? I bought mine from Audio Advisor for $275 and had it within three days with regular delivery.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 02-17-2002 at 08:33 PM

tblasing- No offense taken. I've only done business with Raskin at his store. I never have bought any high dollar items from him so if he is higher priced than others, he is. I do haggle pricing in whatever I buy and in this day and age I think the competition is such that most stores will lower there price to what their competitions is or at least close enough to at least entertain. I have ordered from Audio Advisor also and there has been no problem with them either. I was just pointing out another source for the cartridge/ needle thats all.

I think mine is starting to break-in now. Yesterday I was playing some vinyl from Andreas Volenweider (sp?) from Caverna Magica and the bass was still pronounced. Later on that evening I played another record from him recorded earlier. Anyway the bass was much more subdued than the first album. When I get home today I'll check to see about things like the studio it was recorded at or who did the mixing.

Thanks Mike- I sent an e-mail to Audio Advisor to see if they'll do a price match. We'll see.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 02-19-2002 at 12:12 PM

Ah! Just got the call from her this morning and the VN5MR stylus works in this mystery cartridge. I'm pretty (Shure) it'll be back home in the TT by the end of the week! Wow an A/B comparison of the old and new V15. This is gonna be cool!

BTW- I'm toyin' around with the idea of the external phono stage. I'n not sure if I want to go as far as 1k for one but I did see in Music Direct's catalog an EAR 834P (for MM only) for $800. It's a tube animal at that! Ever heard of this thing?

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 02-21-2002 at 11:16 PM

No I haven't but I can tell you the AES PH-1 that I picked up for $350 used ($610 new) which came with upgraded Oil Caps is a significant improvement over the stage in my Denon. I bought mine from AudiogoN but you can get a new one for $399 in kit form, or assembled for $549. I think for another $100 they will throw in a pair of Jensen Caps.

I would be curious to hear your opinion on the differences between the two cartridges...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems