best mode for music using more than fronts only

killerbee

I'm in the process of picking new reference speakers to complete my system. Here's my question. I like to listen to my music loud-metal/rock. I want to run more than my fronts to fill out the area more. With my Onk 606 I don't know which mode would work best, neo music, multi 2ch, etc...

I use this for HT alot as well. So if you want to add imput as to which speaker I should get to replace the ss.5, I'm considering RF10/52, RS 42 or maybe even a RB model. I picked the RC-10 simply cause it fit my cabinet well but ultimately I'll end up upgrading the next time I buy a TV. The RC35 was too large.

I experimented with my Onkyo 706's in the MBR and living room just to see what would sound best for "rock & roll" vs the usual HT and or movies. The neo setting works very well in the living room, but not as well in the bedroom. Best overall I have found for that purpose is "all channel stereo". But as Laager says, experiment around with the settings and see what sounds best. You might also find that "neo" works with certain artists/ tracks, while all channel works with older rock, etc.

My 6-yr old Yamaha receiver has a Dolby ProLogic Music mode, which allows you to adjust how much sound comes from the center vs. the fronts, as well as the effect level of the surrounds. I played with that a lot to get the best balance of center-to-front (too much from the center and you lose the stereo effect, while nothing from the center can leave a gap in the middle, dependent on input material). The other adjustment, the rear surround effect "panorama," makes for an "echo-y" sound, which I have on the lowest non-zero setting.

New receivers have Dolby Pro Logic II, which may offer different synthesized surround options.

Ideally I'd like to run just my fronts and backs and not play the centers at all.This is how I usually run music in a speakers A + B pairs setup. But now with 5.1 I don't have B speakers.

So what I'm looking for is the way to run the additional pair is if they were hooked up like B's however they obviously will be wired as rears. So its more of a setup question than tell me what sounds best. Sorry for any confusion.