Klipsch Pro past

thackmate

LB = never in production?

I swear we had a pair of them that
we used for side fill monitors. Perfect height for drinks and 'party
supplies'. In glass/al just like the one at the museum.

I like
'BMF' and more history on them. They really were the state of the art for
their era weren't they? So those of us that have nurtured a set back to
health should consider ourselves fortunate to have a bit of history and
some darned serious performing loudspeakers by some of the greatest
names in the biz!

Starting a history time line would be great. Also I know that even Klipsch Tech Support has next to nothing for data sheets on the WWR models, maybe just one 2-page flyer on the various models but hardly any detailed specs. I've been working on the Tech Support 'Matrix', which is an Excel sheet with all data on every product made. Steve Bailey, Steve Phillips, and Mark Kauffman started it all.

Very cool! Cool

Thack, didn't realize you were around here until Joey told me there was a commercial Klipsch forum. I got your e-mail and will drop you a note. My professional past with Klipsch started way before there was a Klipsch Pro past. After working part time for Kerry Likis in Birmingham and living in Tuscaloosa, I built my first Klipsch PA with standard La Scalas in 1972. In 1973 I started Ram Sound and the system grew to 12 La Scalas powered by Phase Linear 700s. I eventually split the La Scalas (Klipsch wasn't doing this yet) for more flexibility stacking and coverage. At the time I used standard Heresys with tilt back legs. I added zener diodes to protect the tweeters and drove the pi** out of them with Phase Linears. We were doing all sorts of acts from Iron Butterfly to Dave Brubeck.

When Klipsch finally built pro versions, I sold the old stuff and built a new PA with (8) 4-way MCMs, (8) LSI-splits, and (8) KSMs still powered by Phase Linears. I did concerts and festivals across the U.S. with that PA including the main stage at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival 1982 through 1986. After working with Klipsch on the 600 project and further monitor development, the MCM system was replaced with an (8) stack KP600 system in 1988. I had given up the Flame Linears when Bob Carver began making pro amps. I still use Carver 1250s and all the '88 model 600s, although drivers were changed and updated with further development. They still sound great and look like new. The other pro speakers I still use are (12) KSM-15II monitors, a couple of KP456s, and some KP682s added for more bottom when I couldn't get anymore 600LFs.

I don't work too much anymore. I stopped trying to grow when Kiipsch moved out of the pro business. I lost some great relationships with Klipsch, Carver, and DDA. Some of my passion died along with them. Midas and KT are still around with the quality they were always famous for. I really did enjoy getting away owning what I wanted to use over what the market pressures dictated. Nowadays I spend free time riding with my Harley friends - I ride a TRIUMPH!

Hey, Ram,

I was doing exactly the same thing with LaScala's and Heresy in the early '70's in Lincoln, Nebraska working for Audio Systems. We, too, used the Phase Linears that we called Fails Linear. When one output device went, they all went. I sat for many hours on the road replacing output devices. We finally surrendered and went to Crown DC-300's. Never had one fail.

I got out of the business in 1980, but am now reliving my "youth" by collecting Klipsch pro. What fun!!!

I, too, now ride with my Harley friends - I ride a Yamaha Venture.

LB = never in production?

No, the LBs were never in production. I had a couple for a while. They were loud but the low end just didn't sound right. The concept was sorta like a chopped La Scala bottom with a Cornwall horn, and a massive network. I sold mine to a guy in North Alabama and there are a few floating around. Hundreds of Klipsch speakers went through our company through the years. I've seen some of them on e-Bay and places. Some had custom factory changes that weren't on any others - like my (8) MMTM-BGs which were not a factory option.

I also saw some of my MCMs on e-Bay with outdoor covers I had made in Tuscaloosa by a boat cover guy. I designed them for doing outdoor festivals. They were gray with black scrim in front. The front covers would roll up and velcro held them in place. I couldn't believe they still were floating around. Those were made back in the early 80s.

Bob, I need a couple of those MMTM BG's to complete my BG collection- I have the HIP, LSI, MCM's all in BG. Shopped a few HSM's but all too spendy.

I thought the LB had a K501 Belle horn but I've been wrong before. Hunter has one and Tony Reed made a pair so there's plans somewhere. No LF true, but they screamed and were pretty easily portable.

Great stories guys, keep it up. Wow, you got to do the real deal with some killer acts of the day. Boy I missed my calling by a couple of decades. Should have stayed with it but I went back to college for some reason. Now I guess I'm reliving a youth that I never properly had or something warped like that.

I think I saw those MCM stacks a couple years back. Some guy posing with them in what looked like a gymnasium- he had those flip up storm covers as I recall! Great idea!

Hmmm updates to KP600? Anything that I need to know when refurbishing mine? These were beat to hell up and down the east coast for a decade or two, housed in a barn in FL until I brought them home to Indy in 2007 summer. You should have seen Hunter's face when the FedEx freight pulled up with MCM and KP600 stacks. But then Klipsch let me go and the passion has faded somewhat.

I never got to own a motorcycle.

Michael

Michael, I don't have a clue where any of the MCM pieces I owned are today. I still have a file of serial numbers but I'm sure they've changed hands a number of times since 1988 when I sold the last of them. If you find some MMTM-BGs with aluminum trim on the front, they are part of the 8 Klipsch did for me. I'm not aware of any others that exist. They didn't want to do the trim on them like the MTM-BGs. Also, I had 4 MWM-BGs with aluminum trim across the front door. Originally, they had the word "Klipsch" across the panel. I got them to paint over the name and add a piece of trim instead. I sold my MCMs two packages of (4) MCM sets each. I gave each company the covers that went with them. The picture you saw had two of the "trimmed" MWM-BG and some of the covers. 4 MCMs I sold to a guy in Arkansas and the other 4 to a company in Alabama. Each group I sold had 2 MWM, 4 MWM-S, 4 MSSM, 4 MSM, and 4 MMTM - all BG with the rain covers.

As far as 600 system updates. The original production KP650HFs had (2) K60s for midrange. Mine were all swapped out for the single 1132 driver/horn. Sonically, there was little if any difference, but the reliability and power handling of the single 1132 was better. The K41 low mid and K78 tweeters stayed the same throughout production. I also swapped out all the original 18s for the "bump back" versions that replaced the original K47s that were in the 680 sub. The 650LF always had K46 drivers. Mine still have K46Es, later ones had Klipsch K46KPs.

I guess the system is still working with killer acts of the day. Newer acts like Keith Urban, Brad Paisley, and Toby Keith have played through my PA. I don't do any serious (loud) rock acts anymore. Jazz and Blues would still be my preference.

Got my first Triumph in 1971.

Ok, my K60's are still in good shape, I've cleaned the hornets mud nests out of the high manifolds and reworked all the K78 motors. Still searching for a single K41 or EVM10L (HELP), bass are K46 but one or two are K45 or K1545 (not quite the same as K46 but they work).

I have purchased four of the K47EP2 to upgrade the sub units as mine have some sag from poor storage practices.

I'll be on the lookout for some K1132's. Do they bolt right up to the horn throat where the manifold is or is there some adapter necessary?

I plan on doing some body work to the corners and painting these before doing any other work to them. The HF sections need the plywood baffle board rebuilt also. Joey is working up some prices on connectors or wiring harnesses. I'll plan on using my Rane crossover for the time being. Have two Crown K2's and three MT1200's so that should suffice for now.

Thanks for the input, I'll post some more 'before' photos, but some are available under the Pilgrimage thread for 2008 when we tested and inventoried my KP600 system.

Michael

post-10755-1381944684159_thumb.jpg

I'll be on the lookout for some K1132's. Do they bolt right up to the horn throat where the manifold is or is there some adapter necessary? 

The 1132 3" drivers are still in production and being used in some of the large theatre systems. Your 650HFs have a 2-barrel manifold with the 2 K60 drivers. The 1132 version has a different mounting and throat that replaces the manifold. You probably won't be able to find one of those except built on a later 650HF 2" horn assembly. K60s are EV DH1506 drivers which are no longer made, but EV still stocks replacement diaphragms. The K45 15s are a lot different than the K46s and I wouldn't put K45s in the 650LFs. The entire production of the 600 system used K41s in the low mids, which you should be able to find. It was essentially a stock EVM-10. EV doesn't make them anymore either, but re-cone kits are available. There should be a lot floating around used. Mine are 20 years old and still kicking.

Roy has told me the same thing about K45 v K46. The K46 is much better as a compression driver, which is how it's being used in the bass section.

What to do about a lack of those, do you know any other drivers that will work well in that application?

I think I know where to get 1132 with the snout assembly, better snag a couple of them just in case.

an eBay seller, the SPeaker Exchange, is selling an EV-10DLX and also has labeled it as EVM-10L. looks similar but that doesn't mean it specs the same. I've asked them for specs on both. They're a speaker place, maybe they have them. 

EV's current production 10 is the DL10X. It is rated at 300 watts which is higher than the EVM-10s were. Although EV may be using the DL10X as their 10 in current models, I'd bet the parameters are not the same. I'd ask Speaker Exchange for data on the two models. Because the speaker is only used in a limited range (400-1.5K), the efficiency rating may be the most important. I'd still search for used EVM-10s. There should be a bunch around. The only difference between production EVM-10s and Klipsch K-41s was Klipsch had them made with plain dust caps instead of ones with EV on them.