Help with a "modern" receiver/amp

Neandertal

After many years of 2-channel bliss with my Kenwood KA-5700 amp and Heresy II fronts and rears I am now being forced to look into the "new" generation sound equipment. To take advantage of the home theater revolution I will be forced into a new output system and retire the old 2-channel. What is a good recommendation for a new receiver/amp/theater power unit. Reality will keep the new unit priced in the $400 to $500 range.

I will obtain a new (or used) center speaker and wish to use my 4 Heresy II's as the theater fronts and rears. Add to the setup a new sub-amp and I think I will have caught up to the year 2002. I would love to find an Academy for the center but will most likely find something easier to obtain. On the premise that one should always use the best possible speaker as the center...what can be done about the Heresy II and shielding problems with tube TVs? Can a Heresy II be shielded? How far away from a tube TV should a Heresy be kept? Will the new generation of HDTVs be effected by an unshielded Heresy?

I knew a lot about Hi-Fi systems when they were 2 channel but I have a serious amount of catching up to do with the new technology. Who new that my "perfect" (at least for me) Klipsch sound would ever need to be modified.

The "which receiver should I get" question always generates (or usually does, anyway) a flurry of responses. There have been several threads recently on this subject, in your price range, I believe. You might do a search using keywords such as recommend, Denon, Yamaha, which, etc... in this HT forum, if you haven't already.

You'll hear Denon, Yamaha, HK, Outlaw, and Onkyo mentioned quite a bit.

Doug

------------------

My System

All those brands are the recomended ones. Even though

I have a sony I want to get either a denon or an HK soon.

But for the money you cant beat the OUTLAW 1050.

That may be my realistic next reciever.

------------------

Thanks,

Daryl Gregg cwm12.gif

MY Home Theatre Page

Sony STR-DE975 HT Reciever

Sony DVP-NS400D DVD

SB-3 Mains

SC-1 Center

Quintet Rears

KSW-12 Sub

AR Proseries Interconects

I LOVE my Klipsch/Outlaw 1050 combo. Sounds great with HT as well as Electronic music, rock & jazz. DEEEEP Bass and crystalline highs. Right in your price range to boot.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

Outlaw 1050. Denon is great and would be my second choice, but for $499 it's a bargain.

------------------

Denon AVR-2800

KG-4 mains (too bad the rest of my speakers aren't this good)

Polk C-175 center (it's ok)

Infinity RS-10 Surrounds (suck)

Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer (excellent sub for it's price)

Pioneer DV333 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD player

All in a 12x12 apartment bedroom.

"What?! I can't hear you!"