Cornwall Help...

kdcarroll

Everybody chime in here and give me an impression:

My present two-channel rig is based on Heresy1's (Crites tweeters/cross) and a very musical sub. Front end is a HK pre with ATI 1202 power amp. CD is Cambridge 640C-II, and tons of vinyl on JVC table (next on the upgrade list). My listening room is 15/15 square, carpet floor, 9 foot ceiling with a desk, and a small leather "listening" loveseat. I love the sound and image - not a giant stage, but very real.

After reading/hearing everyone preach the beauty that is Cornwall, I have finally been lucky enough to locate a pair in great shape that I will go pick up (7 hour drive to TEXAS.....). My question is this; what will be the difference in sound/image from my present kit? How will these speakers change my life (I'm only partially kidding). I listen to virtually everything; mostly jazz, symphonic, band, some pop/country/rock/folk. Let me know "why you love these speakers, and why I will too"; what will they sound like in my room, how will they be different than my Heresys?

Thanks (again) ahead of time - ready to learn again!

Ken

I own both an it's no contest. You will love the glorious mids, a much heftier bass and overall larger impact etc.

What you want to do is start them out in the corners or along the wall then move adjust and toe in until you get to where you want it. Very versatile speaker, but big and weigh a ton so bring a van, truck or something similiar to haul them in.

Thanks thebes et al. I appreciate the images.

I thought Cornwalls needed/liked space behind the box: i.e. away from the wall, out in the room. Did I miss this? My Heresys sit almost "in the corners", and tucked up against the walls on small angle stands. I will basically place the Cornwalls in the same spot, unless they should be moved out into the room.

Thebes (I love your writing), when you toe in, are you looking for a more specific image; more focused into a small spot? I like the idea of a drive-in movie size image across the entire wall. I don't have the Heresys toed in - what's the thought process here?

Thanks in advance for all help past and present -

(it was 72 degrees here yesterday, and it will snow 2 inches tonight. Weather, like the economy, is just not stable)

michael - I like balance. Of course I like bass; not more than any other frequency, but that certainly was one of the driving factors in starting this project in the first place. I've just heard conflicting opinions about Cornwall placement, and since I don't have 87 pairs sitting around like SOME PEOPLE, I have to ask questions until Spring Break.

Can you be just a bit less cryptic??

K

CW v H, you're going to get over an octave of bass extension and it's solid and authoritative. Another CW benefit is getting the horns up closer to ear level. I love the cabinet shape, looks like a loudspeaker should.

Yes you can slam them flat up against the wall, but most prefer some toe-in. This accomplishes two things, it sets the soundstage by aiming the horns at the sweet spot. By doing so it also gets more direct/reflected sound to the listener by avoiding early reflections off the side walls. The best placement would be along the long wall of a room, roughly 2-5 in from the corners, against the front wall, but toed in toward the listening position. For stereo listening the equilateral triangle is a very good starting point if you can manage it with your decorator.

Michael

I realize I am new here, but being the owner of Heresy's, Forte's and "Cornscala's", and being that you have already mentioned Mr. Crites name here, IMHO building a pair of Cornscalas using all of Bob Crites components and crossovers will blow away original LaScalas , Cornwalls, Chorus' and anything smaller. The bass if ported properly is outstanding and would NEVER need the support of a sub, the midrange horn is so much larger than a Cornwall, and of course Bob's tweeter and crossovers. Even IF you can't build the cabinets and would have to pay someone to do it, it would be well worth the effort. The total project is a little over 1K if you build them yourself, maybe 1500 if you pay someone. You could match them against anything under 3k new or used. Mr Crites has the plans. I also do and would be more than willing to help anyone out with a copy or answering any questions. Rich

Thinks Rich - appreciate your input, and WELCOME TO THE INSANITY.

This thread really deals with Cornwall placement, and a general comparison of Heresy and Cornwall. There have been several (SEVERAL) threads detailing the great work done with Cornscalas which you can bring up using the forum search: just type in Cornscala in the search box.

Thanks again Michael on the scoop - looking forward to finding out what works best in my room. I don't have to concern myself with WAF; my lovely wife is a musician as well, and loves the sound. I've been showing her pictures and scale models for a few months to prepare her, and she is going to Texas to pick up our new adopted babys.

Have seen a few threads lately on "harshness" - I'm hoping the Cornwall is not "in your face" and edgy. There do seem to be a number of threads concerning "fixing" Cornwalls through horn dampening and/or crossover adjustment. Michael, do you have ANY of your 219 pairs of Cornwalls "adjusted"?

K

K, don't worry about harshness or edginess with these puppies. Well rounded thumpers but when you play the female vocals you'll want to take your clothes off. As a matter of fact I'm stark nekkid and dancing as I type this.

Let's do a horsy analogy. Khorns are well heeled thoroughbreds, need lots of attention, primping and priming to do their best. Hersey's are pony's. Cornwalls are like stallions, a bit high strung, but you can ride them all day and they will toss their head and ask for more at the end of the day.

Better equipment will reward you, but whatever you've got on hand will you do you just fine until you get better.

Toe in is the same as pigeon-toed. If you are pigeon-toed look down at our feet and see that the tips are facing in towards you. Same thing.

The thing is that as you move up the ladder, it pays to pay a little more attnetion to placement. Experiment. Trust me you'll find a happy medium that works with your room and you.

Speaking of working, The Twins want to see me do my nekkid patented 1960's dance called "The Shimmy". I'm sure those are real smiles and not laughter at my expense.

Thebes -

Thanks again - you never cease to bring a smile to my face, even on the worst of days. I look forward to getting my stallions at Spring Break, and "riding them all day".

I'll send photos and report back on placement when I recover from any fainting.

Ken

arf -

They are already purchased - that decision was made almost a year ago.

The thread was mainly seeking impressions from Cornwall users in advance of my pair (Spring Break road trip to Texas!). While I have heard all of the heritage speakers (we are lucky enough to have them all on our campus; Dan Ross and PWK were good friends, so as the Music Department was constructed, all Klipsch heritage speakers were used. We have Lascalas in three rehearsal spaces, Heresys in all class rooms, and even have a set of Jubs built into the performing center. The tiny black box theatre has a set of lascalas (sitting on the floor) to be used for rehearsal music (sob....).

Tell me what you hear as a difference between Heresy and Cornwall . . .

Thanks again!

K