Type AL3 vs type A for laScala? from Bob, who listen them? and compare?

jazzbeq

Is there anyone, who had the chance of comparing the type A with the type AL3 from Bob, could share is tough/impression?

Type AL3, big improvement, if yes, where? Bass? Treble?

Does AL3 is more transistor oriented than tube?

Doing my planning for next year toy, and wondering if i have to had type AL3 from Bob on my list?

regards

JzbQ

For what's worth, I got new 2005 La Scalas that came with the AL-4 networks, bought Bob's Type A's, put one in to compare, three seconds later I knew the A's were permanent, and 3 minutes later the remaining AL-4 was out, forever.

Now keep in mind that I use SET amps and listen at moderate levels where the power to the La Scalas has never been up to the first full watt. And I listen to vinyl records exclusively. I think the Type A is particularly good for this kind of system, may not be so good for high power systems,solid state systems, or digital sources.

The big improvement for my system was clarity, pure and simple; they also sounded a little louder, but maybe louder sounds clearer or clearer sounds louder... anyway, there was no contest whatsoever, my system let me know immediately that they loved the A's.

Is there a tweeter dependency involved? Wasn't the A used with the old Alnico K-77V tweeter which ran hotter than the K-77M which is used with the later networks? What I'm drving at is that I think the parts in your speakers partially determine the networks required. I'm not sure you just swap them out and get an apples to apples comparison.

So if i understand, what been said, as long as i stay with my el84, 12 watts, no problemo,

with type A, with mid from 1980, 55m?

If i upgraded to transistor or more power, i should go for AL? and AL3 is more equilibrated for all amp, than type A?

correct?

Low to moderate volumes, the Type A sounds very good. I like the sound of that network up to about 95dB -- after that you can expect a good case of earbleed. So yes, if you're in that 3 to 20 wpc area -- it works really well. Anything much after that you and either have to attenuate the mid driver (go down to tap 3, and replace the 13uF cap with a 6.8uF) or move to a different network with steeper slopes (AL-3 or AL-4).