looking for my first stereo pre-amp

The Dude

hey folks, since i have got involved into this sickness the past year I have built my ht with something that i am happy with in the house that i am in now. The problem is that since everyone one eles has taken over the room for movie watching, and i recently got my turntable going alls i want to do is jam some tunes but i cant in this room. So i decided to build a second room for my listening pleasure, i Know i diffently want to give the seperates a chance. but i dont know were to start ive always dreamed of a mcintosh or possibly a marantz system. So if theres any one of these brands that someone recomends to start with i could use your advice. I do have a power amp that i think would work for know so ide like to start with a pre-amp something vintage that i could hook up my turntable and cassatte deck to. appreciate all the help i can get. Also my power amp has 1/4", balanced, and regular rca plugs on it so it has lots of options.

duder