1954 Klipschorn Cabinet � Need advice!

White_Hawk

Hi all! This is in regards to this post: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/116760.aspx and the wonderful cabinet I picked up because of it.

What I really want to do right off the bat is make this SING! All I have is the cabinet – I need a tweeter (& horn), mid (& horn), a woofer and a crossover. What I don’t know is which components to pursue. Is it worth trying to get the current drivers Klipsch is selling and putting in their latest klipschorns, or would older models be the way to go? I imagine that the components I get will affect the crossover I choose…

There is a thread in the garage sale forum: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/116854.aspx for Khorn parts and the price looks great, would those be a good way to go for this cabinet?

Any and all advice is appreciated – I can’t wait to get it up and running =)

Pics will be posted soon!

Josh,

I think it will be a lot easier, and cheaper, to use modern components. If, in the future, you decide to make it "original", you should be able to get your money back on anything you have purchased.

One "improvement" I might suggest is using an Altec 511B mid horn, instead of a K400 or K401. There is room in the top section for the larger horn (if you cut off the flanges), and the sound is a whole lot better. The size, flare, and cutoff more closely approximates a '54 horn lens than the modern variety, and sounds oh so sweet.

For a modern woofer, you will most likely want to modify the "throat" as I mentioned when we met. Currently, the hole in the motorboard is 6x13, but 3x13 would serve your needs better.

Chris

"There is a thread in the garage sale forum: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/116854.aspx for Khorn parts and the price looks great, would those be a good way to go for this cabinet?"

Thats what I would do...but you need to move fast...Greg just offered shipping..so they won't last long.

I just asked for 1 of each, but it would be nicer to sell them all at once I'm sure. We'll see!

I'll be keeping my eye out for a 511b - how would you go about cutting the flanges off?

The horns are aluminum, which cuts and drills fairly easily. A grinder with a cutoff wheel would do the trick, but would compromise the re-sale value if that is important.

If Khorn51 does indeed have a spare '54 midhorn, that would be a great way to go.

Don't get me wrong, a K400 or K401 would sound good, but many of us prefer the larger, more open, 500Hz horns like the Altec 511B or the K-5-J.

The horns are aluminum, which cuts and drills fairly easily. A grinder with a cutoff wheel would do the trick, but would compromise the re-sale value if that is important.

If Khorn51 does indeed have a spare '54 midhorn, that would be a great way to go.

Don't get me wrong, a K400 or K401 would sound good, but many of us prefer the larger, more open, 500Hz horns like the Altec 511B or the K-5-J.

Hey Chris and Josh,

What about the University Cobreflex mid horn? It seems to me some folks on here think highly of that horn and I think it may just bolt into the space. This is the horn that is used for the University Classic speaker. I don't know what crossover frequency is used for it, but it may be discussed in one of the Classic threads.

triceratops

It is my understanding that there were different versions of the Cobreflex horn. That said, these measure just less than 9-5/16" tall. Should fit.

I do have a single one of these horns (Cobreflex 2) as well as the other parts from a University Classic that were pulled from a damaged cabinet. Josh--if you're interested in any of these parts let me know and I'll put together some prices (and photos) for your perusal.