Looking For A TD 145 MkII Manual

garymd

Anyone have access to a User Manual? I found a pdf on VinylEngine but it doesn't work. All others I've found are copies I'd have to order for a fee. I wouldn't mind paying a couple bucks but I'm setting it up tomorrow morning and don't have time. I found the Service Manual and downloaded it with no problem. It's not much help to me though.

If anyone with TD145 MkII experience has advice regarding overhang, anti-skating or anything else, I would greatly appreciate the help.

JBryan - If you're out there, I understand this is your old table. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. It has this crazy 3-piece headshell that looks like a possible PITA for mounting a cart solo which is what I'll be doing with my new M97xe.

BTW - Anyone in the market for an M97xe, I highly recommend Amazon where it was $54 all-in. I chose the free 5-7 day shipping instead of the extra $6 for 2-3 day and it arrived in 2 days anyway.

This 4 piece headshell is the biggest PITA I've ever worked with. I just spent an hour and could not get the cart mounted on the arm to the point where I could begin adjustment. What a POS! Looks like I might have to pay someone to mount it for me. I thought those days were long over for me......sigh....

Thanks for the offer Larry and don't think that wasn't the first thing that came to mind. However, where there's a will, there's a way as they say.

This headshell really blows so I just bypassed it altogether and just used the piece that holds the cart onto the tonearm and stored the rest away. I now must use the tonearm instead of the little finger that extends from the headshell to move it in place. The rest was easy and I'm now listening to Van Morrison on the Cornwalls and it sounds just wonderful. Not like my other 2 vinyl setups but the sound certainly tops most of my CDs. For $154, it's a vinyl rig anyone would be proud of!

This headshell really blows so I just bypassed it altogether and just used the piece that holds the cart onto the tonearm and stored the rest away. I now must use the tonearm instead of the little finger that extends from the headshell to move it in place.

Say what?

Gary> You have to be logged in to access the downloads on vinyl engine, it won't tell you, but I bet that is your problem.

I was logged in. A couple other folks tried and had no success. It's just a bad link.

Allan - Are you familiar with that headshell? It comes in 4 pieces, one of which is a black plastic piece that snaps onto the arm and has 2 holes to hold on the cart. The rest is just for looks and convenience. It works just fine. Maybe I'll post a pic.

I have never seen that tonearm before. Just shows that you learn something new every day!!

When I think "Thorens Tonearm" I think of THIS one which was on just about every mid-range Thorens I have ever seen! It is removed in the same manner as an SME arm.

I feel your pain--that is one goofy looking setup!

!BORI-Ow!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKkEEjlLm(0GPBJt)cSC

I have never seen that tonearm before. Just shows that you learn something new every day!!

When I think "Thorens Tonearm" I think of THIS one which was on just about every mid-range Thorens I have ever seen! It is removed in the same manner as an SME arm.

I feel your pain--that is one goofy looking setup!

!BORI-Ow!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKkEEjlLm(0GPBJt)cSC

That's the one I had on my 160 and what I was hoping was on the 145. I think the 145 must be the cheapest, crappiest TT Thorens ever built. Doesn't even have fake wood grain! It sounds OK, too much bass (can you say tone controls?) but is adequate for my purposes. It still sounds great in my family room but so does everything else I've tried in there. I have to turn the bass down almost all the way on my 299b! As soon as I figure out how to adjust the VTA, I think I need to raise the back of the arm a bit which should tame the bass somewhat.

BTW - The finger lift is actually 2 separate pieces and if you can't screw it in from underneath, the rest of the headshell won't stay together.

That's funny! I had the exact same issues as the poster; oversized spindle like many Thorens tables I've owned and some setup issues. Mine sounds just dandy right now but a friend who does this stuff for a living is going to take a look at it next week to make sure I didn't miss anything and to adjust the VTA for me. With some of my quiet Japanese pressings, the table sounds magnificent. With other "not-so-perfect" records, you hear every flaw. If there's a single flake of dust in the grooves, you'll know.

Thanks pal.