NE1 have one Heresy II for sale?

hwatkins

Hey, hwatkins, don't leave us in suspense... how did you solve it... did a Heresy materialize on your doorstep?cwm34.gif... or did you embrace the Phantom?cwm7.gif

Posting notices of excess or sought after Klipsch speakers... or even url's where Klipsch gear can be found has helped a lot of folks on this Forum. And now, with Klipsch buying into the amp market, a whole new era of buy-sell-swap is in the offing.

There was a time when good ole "Bob-understand-the- problem-G" attempted to grant our wishes to have a place on the Forum especially for buy-sell-swap needs... but, alas, the Klipsch legal eagle apparently "torpedoed" that from on high. A strong aftermarket for vintage Klipsch products is a rounding endorsement of the extra value inherent in buying Klipsch products... and a valuable port of entry for newbies to economically stick their toes in the Klipsch waters... and in their "earfull" joy, they grow to embrace support of their local Klipsch dealer.

This Forum does provide the opportunity to read through thousands of posts to find a desired vintage Klipsch... and while appreciated it remains less than ideal. Surely the company we revere that has the engineering minds to build these great speakers and the administrative minds to grow this great company should be able to find legal minds that would allow us to have one little corner of the Forum to post available items... even if the transactions were handled by private email or PM's (which I prefer).

cwm40.gif Maybe the way to solve the problem is for we the people of the Klipsch Forum initiate a place to handle the buy-sell-swap issues within the Forum. Perhaps the best place to build our sound system architecture is in the Architectural section. It is the least used and veteran Forum posters could refer newbies to the Architectural section for an appropriate thread.

Hmm, maybe this subject deserves it's own post? What say you Forum friends... shall we create our own "treasure island" so we may no longer be at sea on this issue? cwm15.gif HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 02-16-2002 at 10:42 AM

Ed said:

"Posting notices of excess or sought after Klipsch speakers... or even url's where Klipsch gear can be found has helped a lot of folks on this Forum. And now, with Klipsch buying into the amp market, a whole new era of buy-sell-swap is in the offing."

Dave here -

This forum was the "golden key" for me and my audio bliss. I found my Cornwall II's here, and when my finances allow, will be posting in search of that pair of oak Chorus. Since Heritage speakers are not available new, this is the logical place to find them. I think about this often - I am soooo thankful that the Klipsch powers that be allow us the privilege to exchange the classics here, or to post other pertinent info. Not to mention the well informed audio minds in this forum - collectively, an audio encyclopedia, of sorts.

Ed said:

"There was a time when good ole "Bob-understand-the- problem-G" attempted to grant our wishes to have a place on the Forum especially for buy-sell-swap needs... but, alas, the Klipsch legal eagle apparently "torpedoed" that from on high. A strong aftermarket for vintage Klipsch products is a rounding endorsement of the extra value inherent in buying Klipsch products... and a valuable port of entry for newbies to economically stick their toes in the Klipsch waters... and in their "earfull" joy, they grow to embrace support of their local Klipsch dealer."

Dave here -

This is a very valid point with me, Ed. If Klipsch ever thought for one minute that they lost a potential sale because I bought used Klipsch from this board, they would be wrong. I simply would not settle for less than a Cornwall or Chorus - I did demo the Reference series, but I really wanted the Heritage. I would go to ebay, ads, other used audio sites to find them, if necessary, but I found them here.

So, what does Klipsch have to gain from us doing this? Lots of free advertising, for one! Not one person ever listens to my HT without learning about the virtues of Klipsch. All of my friends and family see the Klipsch logo on my gear, and hearing is believing. More than anything, Klipsch wants to spread the good name, and all of us happy Klipsch owners do this free of charge. This results in sales, since most of my friends don't have the patience to buy the used route - they just buy Reference (since they still sound great, and are readily available).

Ed said

"This Forum does provide the opportunity to read through thousands of posts to find a desired vintage Klipsch... and while appreciated it remains less than ideal. Surely the company we revere that has the engineering minds to build these great speakers and the administrative minds to grow this great company should be able to find legal minds that would allow us to have one little corner of the Forum to post available items... even if the transactions were handled by private email or PM's (which I prefer).

Maybe the way to solve the problem is for we the people of the Klipsch Forum initiate a place to handle the buy-sell-swap issues within the Forum. Perhaps the best place to build our sound system architecture is in the Architectural section. It is the least used and veteran Forum posters could refer newbies to the Architectural section for an appropriate thread."

Dave here -

As long as the powers that be are OK with us doing it on our own, it's a good idea, and the simplicity of it would certainly have benefits. However, I would rather have the haphhazard method we are using now, than to not have the privilege at all. It's kinda fun anyway, hunting for the latest used klipsch offerings - it's kinda like a "treasure hunt"!

I would want to get Bob G's blessing first - I would hate to stir up a hornets nest. I do value the privilege as it is now, and hate to lose it!!

Just my opinion...

Dave

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

Dave, apparently you and I are in complete agreement. In essence, we have been able to find equipment and gain from other people's experiences on this Forum... without a problem other than the need to sort through a lot of verbiage to find the answer.

The point that I was trying to make is that if the lawyers of Klipsch are concerned about Klipsch initiating a special place for trades that then Klipsch may be construed to have ensuing liability from a trade gone bad. But, if we Forum fans in our individual capacity elect to use the Architectural part of the Forum as a trading center... then Klipsch would seem clearly not responsible for our actions. If BobG were to ratify that, then as a paid Klipsch employee, the legal problem may raise its ugly head once more.

One of the reasons that I raised the question on such an obscure post was to get some considered opinions from serious Forum members, like you Dave, without turning it into a headlined free-for-all. BobG told us about the legal implications many months ago. None of us wish BobG or Klipsch ill. A little organization in how we deal with one another is likely to help everyone. But, we would need a groundswell of Forum members to make it be worthwhile. Think about it. HornEd

H-E

Since this is Klipsch's forum---iniitiated, sponsored and supported by them I supppose that they have every right to determine what is/isn't allowed. I imagine that it is not the "legal eagle beagles" saying no--it's the business folks at Klipsch. After all, their thing is to move new boxes--not facilitate a used market (which would conceivable impede their main MO)

(the guy buying a used Heresy doesn't need to buy a new one) I doubt very much there are any real concerns about liability issues.

Does anybody have an extra Academy laying around!

Dave S

Right on, Dave, everybody knows who makes this board possible. Not once has anyone from Klipsch said that Forum members shouldn't post things they want to sell or things they want to buy.

The fact of the matter is, Klipsch employees have sometimes assisted people in getting out the word of used speakers that are available. And the word about the legal roadblocks in an all out dedicated area on the BBS for that was cooled by the Klipsch lawyers over potential liability issues for bad deals... and that came from BobG himself in a post last year.

So, I was stating what appears to be the fact situation from Klipsch... and not trying to make waves. I appreciate your comments because that's the kind of thing that brings potential issues out into the open where we all can work on it together.

Klipsch tends to support their discontinued speakers a whole lot more than several other big speaker companies. Sure, they make their money off of the new sales... but they are savvy enough to know that a corps of Klipsch happy people around the world, whether they bought new or used, brings the kind of positive word-of-mouth advertising that money can't buy... and this Forum proves that they have that kind of action all across North America and around the globe.

Call up tech support and talk to Trey Cannon sometime... you will get a level of caring concern and stout advice whether that speaker is in their current offerings or not. I know, I've done it and so have a whole lot of other folks on this Forum.

Oh, and if I get another line on an Academy, I'll send the info your way. And you can forget any ideas that I am unilaterally trying to do anything underhanded or detrimental to Klipsch sales or the Klipsch staff that makes this Forum possible. HornEd

H-Ed

Forgive me----I think my post had a bit of an "edge" to it which wsn't intended---It certainly is in K's best interests to support their product already out there--tech support AND commerce in the used market.

These Klipsch speakers are about the only thing in my system that seems to hold value new or used.

You are correct--the folks at K are super---I have had several call backs from them over the last 30 days on product Q's I had.

I imagine that their reluctance to support a "yard sale" type thread has more to do with wanting to avoid the natural "wrangling" that will always occur between traders (vs any legal liability issues)---I'm sure they have their hands full doing what they do best and don't need the attendant , effort and expense of referee'ing trader disputes----they're smart---leave that stuff for the EBays of the world!

Just my 2 cents

Tks Dave

WOW - I really didn't realize the depth of nuances in my inquiry and subsequent retraction of the request. It must have all started when my 70's damaged brain dyslexically used 'EdHorn' instead of the correct 'HornEd'Smile.gifSmile.gifcwm30.gif Regardless of my advice to my teenage daughter concerning the dangers, I wouldn't change the way I handled the Seventies (at least the parts I remember). This has been a very educatonal thread.

The anticlimatic answer to Ed's request for solution is very simple - I have now (if last deal closes) got an extra set of Heresy (this leaves me with one 1980 pair and one 1984 pair and a set of 1999 build IIs). I have purchased a Denon AVR-3802 as my new starter reciever (watch for stuff showing up at auctions in March). This is not what I had optimally set out to do but opens up many options. I will be working these speakers in various combinations to see what I like best. I have also reached a deal to audition many center offerrings and will be doing so over the next several months - I want to see if audio dispersion is a problem I have to address when thinking of Heresy center. These will require tuning and evaluation that will surely produce many headaches as I start dealing with minute differences. I had toyed with destroying part of my wall and using two Heresy as center, on their side with horns in the middle - now that is an awsome display of over the top mentality.

I don't know the answer yet. I will be a cognizant specs person, but will probably not reach the level of expertise of those on this board - thanks to all. However, don't be surprised that I come up with a solution that is solely matched to my tastes that may not be a Klipsch center. I do know that I will have strong music from either a 4, 5 or 6 Heresy arrangement - Music is still a very important part of my entertainment requiements.

As you all know, this is the snowball that started the avalanche - While my DVD player is well matched, I imagine the subwoofer goes soon, then the CD player, then the VCR. I'll probably need to handle progressive scan and/or 1080i (darned old Hitachi is only 1000), so TV/Monitor is next (NE1 want a very good 50" rear projection?) which forces a progressive scan solution on DVD. I will be keeping my B&O turntable (thank God says my wife). During these changes I will have gotten discrete amps for my speakers. When completed, the purchases I am making today will become outmoded technology and the whole thing starts again.

Is it just me or does the movie 'Ground Hog Day' seem to be more real than originally thought?

------------------

Hwatkins

HW

Let me know if that dual Heresy C--channel solution works out---- maybe then you'll need another pair (to augment the fronts--keep it all balanced) !!

That way you could have what---8 of 'em firing away ?(maybe I lost count)

Ain't it fun?

Dave

PS---was serious about the C channel dual H-II experiment---I'd have room for two also if on their sides---just can't cut the vertical set in my cabinet (without tearing out the cab roof----hey I've gone this far--why not !!)

Hwatkins... Wow, that's thrilling, someone taking the Heresy's to the max for 6.1... and using your head and your ears to find personal satisfaction rather than lining up the "usual suspect" center, surrounds, etc. Your approach will be watched by many, you can bet I'll be looking for your new thread with great anticipation.

I have now set up three different speaker systems using six identical speakers and everyone has been a winner. One Thing I have found is that if you set the side speakers directly opposed to one another... about a foot behind where your head will be in the sweet spot. You may also find that ProLogic era source material will be enhanced if the exponential horns in your side speakers are aimed just above your head.

All of my speaker acquisitions that have come through this Forum have been entirely hassle free. There are just a lot of good folks on this board who care more about Klipsch... and that is not what I find on the auction route. After making contact on this Forum, we have carried out negotiations by email or phone... so, at least in these cases, there were no problems for Klipsch... just gratitude from all concerned that we had the opportunity to link up. Improving the link-up potential of buyer and seller was the point of my above posts... and I have grown to appreciate Dave's insights of the hassle potential that greater efficiency may bring.

Hwatkins, thanks for sharing your Heresy Adventure... and please don't stop! cwm32.gif HornEd

------------------

"LEADING 8 LEGENDS INTO THE 6.1 GENERATION!"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main

KLF C7's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra SubTower, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808