Will high end headphones sound good on an ipod? (or is amp needed?)

Pauw

The short answer to you query is yes a set of IEM's such as the Klipsch Custom 3's will and do sound incredible plugged directly into an iPod provided you have good source material such as Apple's lossless format or similar rippings. I use that very set up. My next purchase for my portable/personal audio rig will be to get a Ray Samuels amp. When it comes to the quality of sound you get out of Klipsch IEM's the good Professor Thump has nailed it sqaure on the head with his designs.

The better the source material, the better it will sound....talking about the mp3 really. less compression, higher-bit-rate. Will definately make help let you notice a difference.

I totally agree, with the custom 3, it does shell out some excellent bass for a non amp powered headphone and it can get loud but you will hear compression very easy with poorly encoded mp3. Also to note, I have heard excellent 128 kbps mp3 that sounded better than 320 kbps mp3. I guess different software can make or break the quality of the mp3 too.