Using dynamic EQ/Audessy

I have the Onkyo tx-sr806 receiver, forte 1's in the front and rear, academy center. The receiver has a feature where you hook up a mic and place it it several locations throughout the room. As effeciant as these speakers are can someone give me some advice on wether or not I should even use this feature from the receiver.

Some here have used it and similar from other manufactures. I would say write down your current settings then run the program, this way if you don't like the outcome you can set everything back to how it was. Others have said that after running the program that a tweak here and there made the speakers sound better then how they first had it setup.

Remember only you can really be the judge in if it makes a difference or not, but since your receiver has the ability to why not try it out. Just write down the settings so if you don't like it you are not PO trying to figure out how it was setup before.

James

When I run my receivers auto setup, I always go back in the settings and "fine tune" it. The receiver does a good job with levels, etc, but it always sets my subs WAY too low! I say run your setup, and if you don't like the sound, adjust the levels accordingly.........

I use my Onkyo's Audyssey setup to measure the physical distance from the main listening position of each speaker and also to level-match them with each other. I don't like the EQ that it does so I turn that off in the Equalizer Settings menu.

You do want to double-check all the measurements when its done because its not 100% foolproof but it usually gets the distances and volumes almost perfect.

I have the Denon 3808ci which has the Audessy on it. I would recommend looking at the Audessy thread on AVSforum.com. There is an excellent guide that other users have created that will walk you through the setup. I ran the setup once when I first got it and it was OK but not great. After following the guide and setting everything up properly it is much better and is an excellent feature. My sub was set right and the speakers were spot on. With a living room that opens into the kitchen and dining area my space is small and has some challenging audio qualities. The audessy works very well in taming the space and was much easier than acoustical treatments.

Chris