New "bottlehead" looking to get into Klipsch

33RPM

Glad to hear that the speakers made it to you. Also that you are happy with the sound. Next thing to do is run... this place will for sure change you into wanting to get more speakers.

I'm thinking that I still may eventually have to try out some Heresys, but the Reference towers will serve me well for now!

See it already started...... [:P]

Congrats on the speakers and enjoy... [H]

James

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the verdict on 4 vs. 8 ohm taps with these speakers: to me, the 4 ohm taps sound much better. Compared to the 8 ohm taps, the 4's are cleaner sounding and more coherent. Bass is not as "bloomy" and somewhat tighter. Most interestingly, I found the most improvement to take place in the midrange, which is now much more "present" and realistic. I think the low damping factor on the 8 ohm taps probably drowns out some of the mids, or the extra, uncontrolled cone movement (from the lower damping factor) results in blurring of the higher frequencies on the cone (i.e., up to 2kHz on these drivers).

The RF-5's are very smooth on the 4 ohm taps; going back to the 8 ohm taps give the sense of a disjointed, imperfect presentation. On the 4 ohm taps, they just disappear. And the loss of power is almost unoticeable, even on a 2W SET. I'm thrilled with my choice of Klipsch speakers - a great match for tubes!

It's something you guys don't feel guilty, I mean it's like you talked him into smoking his first rock. The poor guy now has a monkey on his back, that will NEVER go away. Well at least he knows where the meetings are.

Good Luck

Brac, that's too funny! They become hooked all too easily, don't they?

Great that they are working out for you. I may have to change my Moondogs to 4 ohms and see how they change on my LS, by I am too lazy to do it.

Bruce

Didn't take long to get me hooked! One day, in fact. I could never imagine listening to speakers without horns again. Horns + tubes really is a magic combination. Once I built my Bottlehead amps, I knew it was only a matter of time before I ended up a Klipsch man.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how smooth these things sound on the 4 ohm taps. I still don't get people's issue with horn tweeters - set up correctly, they really sound no more "tinny" or harsh than any aluminum dome tweeter I've ever heard (in fact, I've heard a bunch of speakers that are way MORE harsh than my RF-5's). One thing I do notice, however, is the lower distortion - sounds are amazingly clear, dynamic, and realistic, without any added coloration. Paul W. Klipsch really knew what he was talking about!

The mids are also suprisingly good for a 2-way, though I suppose that has something to do with using tubes and transformers rather than capacitor-coupled or direct-coupled solid state. Makes me wonder how the Heresy's mids are, given that they have a dedicated squawker that goes down to 700 or 800Hz.