Daisy-Chaining Preamps....

SWL

Hey Scott,

Can you explain what you're doing? I can't supply your answer, but I'm curious...Confused

I ran out of the preouts of my Marantz 3600 preamp into the auxiliary input of my Marantz 1070 integrated amp. I now have two volume controls and two sets of tone controls.

I knew that the 3600 sounded better than the 1070 by itself. So, by matching them up this way I accomplished my goal but sacrificed a minimal amount of volume for an improvement in sound quality.

I've heard of daisy-chaining pres together using the "Tape Out/Tape In" but only when someone wanted to use a pre's phono stage. Don't know how it sounds but most likely, you'll be adding to the noise floor and it's definitely a case of under-utilization and with some pres, a waste of tubes. Unless you're in love with those preamps, I'd suggest selling both to get a pre that suits your needs - there are plenty out there with multiple AUX inputs. Another possibility is to get an AUX box or a passive preamp. Have fun

You simply ran out of input selections?

Pffffft......easy fix! Go get yourself a dbx 200 or 400 route selector.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DBX-400-Program-Route-Selector-NEAR-MINT-NICE_W0QQitemZ350181781935QQihZ022QQcategoryZ14978QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

I think there is a 400XG or something like that as I have one. The one I have has a power cord and lights on each button. To be clear about soemthing though, these are PASSIVE units, even mine. The only reason I have a cord on mine is to power the lights. If I were to unplug it, it would work perfectly fine.

You can really have some fun with one of these things. You could put it on a single input and all the sudden have several items available to you.