Each main speaker with its own amplifier, high level input?

superedge88

So my Denon receiver doesn't have preamp outputs, and I would really like a little more umph out of my main speakers. If money was no problem I would just go ahead and by a new receiver with preamps and then buy a 2 channel amplifier and go at it that way. The other option that I want to ask you guys about is simply adding an amplifier at each speaker that takes high level input. Is this just a stupid idea? What amplifier is the best choice for this? I was just thinking of mounting an amplifier to the side of each of my RF3 speakers. I have a power outlet right next to each main, so power is not an issue at all.

Then in theory since I wouldn't be using much power from the receiver to power the mains, would I then be getting more power out of my surrounds and center channel that would still be utilizing power from the receiver? You can tell I am pretty new to home theater, still trying to understand the dos and dont's while still knowing the why.

Wow, that stinks. Using the speaker-level outputs from your receiver is not going to sound better than what you have right now. I'm very surprised the 2308 doesn't have pre-outs, but I'm not seeing them on the Denon website either.

Dunno what to tell ya [:(]

My local craigslist has an HK AVR235 listed for $150. It has preamp outputs and sounds mighty fine on its own, and it's hard to imagine getting separate amps for your speakers for less money than that. Your local CL probably has something similar or will very soon.