rc-64

chris86

• Moderators

The RC-64 is by far the best center I have ever listened to but there are those in the forums that would argue that the RC-64 would not be a good match for your RF-62's since it is not voice matched to it. If voice matching is important to you, you would want to upgrade the RF-62's to either the RF-63's or the RF-83's. It's your call. Do your research and then decide.

Chis86, I'm with you partner. I also have the RC62 and want a RC64. As far as voice match goes, the voice or dialogue is where I'm having problems. The RC62 sounds muffled or muddy to me. I've been told by some to put my money in my center channel and my subwoofer. And others talk about timbre and I'm not real sure I know what that is. I think I might have the "upgrade bug". Its like Youthman said, if a person gets the RC64 it would probably be smart to also upgrade your fronts as well. If you get the RC64 before I do please let me know how you like it.

• Moderators

I've been told by some to put my money in my center channel and my subwoofer.

Great advice when talking home theater.

And others talk about timbre and I'm not real sure I know what that is.

Timbre matched speakers have the same tonal qualities. They provide a seemless transition between speakers when sound pans from one speaker to another. It is best to have your front three speakers timbre matched. When you look on Klipsch.com, if you are looking at a certain speaker, like the RC-64, you will see the speakers that are timbre matched to at the bottom left of the page where it says "Related Products". How noticable will it be if your speakers are not timbre matched? It probably depends on how critical of a listener you are. You might hear a slight change in pitch, volume etc as sound travels from one speaker to another. This is what you do not want. You want them to blend smoothly without a change in the sound. That is timbre matching in laymans terms.

the voice or dialogue is where I'm having problems. The RC62 sounds muffled or muddy to me.

Thus the rc-64 which will have more clarity. Youthman gave a nice description of timbre, which is very important, but if you can't understand the dialogue...well.....

• Moderators

if you can't understand the dialogue...well.....

Arky has a good point there. When I had the RC-7, it was not as clear as I would have hoped for. It wasn't until I angled the center channel downward towards my primary seating position that it brought it to life. Where do you have your center channel? Have you tried angle it up or down towards your seats? That might help.

• Moderators

I have my center channel on top of my CRT TV tilted down, yes I do. Thank though.

It was worth a shot. Do you have a receiver that you can adjust the EQ of the center channel? I'm not trying to persuade you from buying the RC-64, it's by far the best center channel I have ever heard but if you can adjust yours to where it sounds good to you without having to spend more money, that's a good thing.

I've EQed my whole system. The RC62 isn't really a bad center, I think its the fact that I want an upgrade and I'm trying to justify it. I want that RC64 that JayL has so bad but my lovely bride won't let me. I don't want to have to choose between them.LOL. But I will have one....soon. Maybe