fluttering noise from sub

The Dude

so lately I've been experiencing this weird fluttery noise from my sub I have a KSW-12, this only happens what seems to be low frequency's in movies such as explosions, and all the good stuff. Doesn't do it during music so thats why I think its probably below the 38hz line. I haven't cracked it open yet, just wondering if theres anything I could save time with. I have moved stuff around making sure theres no bags or anything externally could be causing this so I don't think thats the problem. But who knows.

thanks for input

nick

Are you hearing port chuffing? If so, that's pretty normal when
cranking it up. During a loud bass scene, see if you can feel air
blowing out of the port.

A woofer will start to sound floppy when
it's being overdriven and when the spider starts to wear out. Sometimes
the diaphragm itself can start flexing too.These things would not be normal and you should probably rule them out so you can avoid causing more damage.

I found a near by bag on a chest of mine some what near the woofer so it could possibly be, I removed the bag and watch a war movie last night and did not notice it. So hopefully that was the problem if it returns, what can I do about the spider, diaphragm if the problem returns.

thanks for your help

nick

Sounds like port chuff or you are clipping the amp, either way you are driving too hard.

Thanx, Russ

what do you mean by driving to hard(my frequancy turned down to low or my level turned up to much). I have a Harman/Kardon avr 225 with sub preout so could i have the sub level on the reciever to high

thanks

nick

What did you say i cant hear. Wait I am reading this, aren't I.

lol

As far as the spider....that would require a new driver from Klipsch. I don't think that's the case, but a blow spider can cause your VC to rub in the gap and that can short out the amplifier and require replacing both the driver and the amp. It's a rare thing, but it's hard to tell what people are trying to communicate over a forum.

It's quite possible that your bag could have been making the noise. If you hear it again, I would put your hand near the port and see if there is a lot of air blowing. You should be able to tell if the sound is coming from the port or from the driver.