Sub for George Mims Heresies

Mallette

Gents and ladies, I need some help.

Some of you know I've recently developed a relationship with Dr. George Mims, recently retired cappellemiester of St. Martins Church in Houston. I am extremely honored and am rapidly becomeing an elderly "groupie" as we spend time together. He's asked me to come over to his house and help him master his new audio system. I actually don't know what all he has, other than the speakers remain his beloved Heresies. I'll report on that after the fact.

When he visited my room and heard his system on my 'horns he was blown away at the bass. After all, he IS an organist and used to hearing it ALL. Of course, he's also been used to making allowances and assuming it isn't practical to hear that on a recording.

He knows better now, and though he did not mention it, I'd like to be prepared to recommend a sub. Most know I am about price/performance.

Give me some recommendations for a sub at a good price point the provides a seamless acoustic crossover to the Heresies and good down to 20hz or so.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the introduction to Dr. Mims. He will love having a sub with his Heresies.

I'm not sure if this would be best for his system, but I was very pleased with a Cambridge Soundworks P1000 sub dialed in with my La Scalas. The sub was user friendly with a table top control unit which can be placed on any table top or on a rack shelf of convenience. It also had a remote to use if desired. This was a much better option than kneeling down in a corner to adjust the sub.

Not my first mention of George here. In case you missed it, this was how we met...

George

George is a phenomenal individual who has deftly avoided fame, though I do not know how. I do not know of a music program remotely in the class of the one he built at St. Martins this side of the National Cathedral. In breadth and scope it exceeds any I've ever heard of, from old sourthern spirituals to Hildegard von Bingem in a single service. Incredible stuff.

Yes, I am going to butter him up with fixing up his system. I am also going to plant the seeds of a project. The old German and other ethnic country churches of the catholic tradition (Roman, Lutheran, Anglican) of central Texas hide artistic and organ treasures of the 19th century. My old friend Ron (Lonelobo) is one of the finest videographers anywhere. I want to spend a few weekends with him videoing, me SoundCube surround recording, and George playing these hidden gems and make a DVD. Fun and doing something that needs doing anyway.

I suspect we can get some local airplay with it on PBS and NPR Houston affiliates.

If that works out, then I'll REALLY start trying to get him into some other projects... [6]

Dave

Dave,

If he wants to play organ music you can't use an el-cheapo sub. If you are on a budget the Hsu Research subs are a good bang for the buck. Make sure you get one big enough to fully light up the room, Virgil Fox/E Powers Biggs can raise the roof.

Thanx, Russ

Yes, I almost bought a Hsu a few years ago and wish I had. Couldn't audition and went on specs and wound up with a Pinnacle. It cost less, and it's worked OK, but audiophiles don't really do OK. I fully agree with you. 16' and larger organ pipes are the most demanding bass, IMHO, because it isn't just about "whumpawhumpa," but also about temper and tone. These giant pipes can play very quietly, and when they do they have very distinct personalities and palpable personalities...if the sub can deliver. OTOH, when play full tilt, the sub has to handle it cleanly and sustain over significant periods of time.

Big job.

I don't recall them being all that much. I'll check them out and see what the current pain level is.

Dave

Hey Dave, it sounds like you are in for a great time. (pun intended)

I would shoot an email to or call one of the fine fella's over at SVS. Tell them the situation and have them recommend one of there subs.

I have had a few dealings with them and they are stand up people.

Here's the link to their site------------> SVSound

Dennie

I've read a lot of good things about the HSU subs for years and a lot of great things about SVS here.

I've no real experience with subwoofers myself just a few demos. A couple of the Klipsch THX models in Indyklipschfan's basement were amazing with however many split LaScalas he had in there. And then there was the "Mini Beast" Michael Hurd hauled down from Canada but my daughter was ready to leave by the time they got the hum issues resolved...

At the Klipsch Pilgrimage 2007 they had a nice demo with an RF 83, RC 64 etc surround sound system with an RT12D sub. Most impressive. Colterphoto1 had put on I think the Yes Symphonic DVD and the bass player Chris Squire was playing some pedals Michael said were about 1/2 the frequency of the low notes on an electric bass. Somewhere around the 20hz range +- a few hz and I was amazed as I could actually hear differences in frequencies and I thought it was getting into more feeling the bass in that range. Boggled my feeble mind.

Should be interesting and if you can get bass that impresses an organist of Dr Mims calibre... well that would be impressive and if he likes it it'd have to be pretty doggone good.

I've read a lot of good things about the HSU subs for years and a lot of great things about SVS here.

I've no real experience with subwoofers myself just a few demos. A couple of the Klipsch THX models in Indyklipschfan's basement were amazing with however many split LaScalas he had in there. And then there was the "Mini Beast" Michael Hurd hauled down from Canada but my daughter was ready to leave by the time they got the hum issues resolved...

At the Klipsch Pilgrimage 2007 they had a nice demo with an RF 83, RC 64 etc surround sound system with an RT12D sub. Most impressive. Colterphoto1 had put on I think the Yes Symphonic DVD and the bass player Chris Squire was playing some pedals Michael said were about 1/2 the frequency of the low notes on an electric bass. Somewhere around the 20hz range +- a few hz and I was amazed as I could actually hear differences in frequencies and I thought it was getting into more feeling the bass in that range. Boggled my feeble mind.

Should be interesting and if you can get bass that impresses an organist of Dr Mims calibre... well that would be impressive and if he likes it it'd have to be pretty doggone good.

Dang. Don't know why Klipsch didn't come to mind, except that I am so Heritage I just did not think I'll send them an edited version of the below message to see what they recommend for Heresies.

Thanks for the SVS tip, Dennie. Jeff (eqshdimar) of Dallas has SVS subs (3!) in his HT system and they THUNDER. I sent them this message:

I have recently become associated with Dr. George Mims, recently retired Kapellmeister of St. Martin’s Church, Houston, TX. I am clueless as to how this man went through his career without being spoken of in the same sentence as Virgil Fox and E. Power Biggs. Perhaps it is because he is equally adept at composition, conducting and arranging.

In any event, the man has perhaps the finest ears I’ve ever been in the same room with, able to spot any aberration in a recording. Richard Gladwell recently featured his final set of recordings with the St. Martin’s resources, “Instruments of The Praise” for his entire Sunday morning NPR program “With Heart and Voice.”
George visited my home a few weeks back and I played some of his recordings on my two main systems, one with classic Frazier Elevens that extend smoothly to 20hz and also on my Klipschorns, which are solid to 32hz. He really loved it. His home system features Klipsch Heresies, which start giving up gracefully about 50hz.

Question for you: What would you recommend that would provide a those missing octaves for Georges Heresies that would be seamless to a highly refined ear and would not exhaust his retirement account?

Kind regards,
Dave
David A. Mallette
Curriculum and E-Learning
Helmerich & Payne Int'l Drilling Co.
13609 Industrial Road
Houston, TX 77015
Cell: 832.498.3830