Help on choosing, klf-10, sf-1, new f-1?

PLANETARY

Hello all,

I am a college kid who wants a pair of speakers that 'does it all' for around $400. I have a room that is about 25' x 17' with a low ceiling. They will be used mostly for music. I listen to almost everything, classical, jazz, ambient, electronic, hip hop, metal, classic rock. I plan to use them at low volume and sometimes high volume, I want the fullest sound not the loudest. I would like some imput about the following pairs of speakers that I found for sale:

1) New with full warrenty - Klipsch F-1 ~$400

2) Used Klipsch SF-1 ~$200

3) Used Klipsch KLF-10 ~$400

I plan to head over to a stereo shop soon to see what they have as well.

I did find KLF-20 but $700is too much

I have an older higher end Onkyo stereo amp at the moment.

Thanks

Condition is everything on judging the value of those KLF-10's or 20's. If they are mint, the prices are reasonable, if not mint they may be worth quite a bit less. If you could negotiate the KLF-10's for $300.00 that would be a pretty good deal unless they are trashed, you may also try to throw an offer out on the KLF-20's of about $450.00 and see what you can do. It is a buyer market.

As far as sound is concerned, the KLF-20 and KLF-10 are quite a bit better than the SF-1 and F-1 is really is not close at all.

lThanks so much!! I listened to a bunch of speakers today. I listened to Klipsch, Polk, Focas, B&W, some others. I got to learn each brands characteristic. Klipsch is good, though my favorite are B&W and Klipsch's Paladium (more like B&W than a typical Klipsch).

Also I was talking to salesmen at the store and they said the same thing, get old high end stuff than new cheap. Thats usually how I roll.

I will look into the klf-20's, which are very close to me. Thanks for helping me with the price.

• 2 weeks later...

What did you pay? I have made two offers in the last 4 months and both were rebuffed. I really don't need any more speaks at this time and have no where to put a pair, but if the price was right I'd jump.

What type of cabs and what kind of shape??

The KLF are are nice speakers. I owned the 20's. I missed mids with these speakers. In your price range (used) you should be able to find Epic series, Heresy, or a beat up pair of Fortes.

Hint - Look on Audiogon and buy some Klipsch Quartets when they are available. These are incredible 98db speakers. You should be able to pick up a pair for a $350.00 offer if you wait and find ready seller.

• 3 months later...