A few questions about my home theater.

smcilwaine287

I am running this w/ a yamaha 663 receiver, and my L and R speakers are Klipsch rf-62's.

1) my current center is the klipsch vc-25, and in about a week I will be upgrading to the rc-52 (unfortunately the rc-62 is .5 inches too wide). I am just wondering what type of difference I should hear, if anything.

2) I am using the Def Tech - BP1X bipolar speakers as my rears. They are placed behind me, about 7 feet up on the wall, flush mounted on the wall so they are shooting straight out. I am only sitting Approx. 2 feet from the wall, so was thinking this may not be the best speaker to work as my rears. I can't move them down any, so I would have to replace the speakers and was wondering what would be more ideal.

last but not least I absolutely love these speakers! and hi to everyone here at the Klipsch forums!

Welcome to the forums!

Actually, if you are running any kind of modern surround-sound formats such as Dolby Digital, DTS, etc, your surrounds are recommended to be placed to the side of the listening position, not behind it. Back in the old Dolby Pro-Logic days that's when rear surrounds were used. Current 5.1 systems use three fronts (Left, center, right) and two side surrounds. 7.1 systems add the speakers behind you.

Klipsch surrounds such as the Reference RS series would work great for you.

• Moderators

Since you are close to your rear wall and do not have the option of placing them on the side walls, your current di-pole speakers or Klipsch RS series will work well on the rear wall. Your Def Tech speakers are not meant to go on the side walls since they are dipole. Bi-pole speakers are used for side walls since the speakers are out of phase.

That being said, I am using RB-35's (bookshelf) speakers on my rear wall. I'm even closer to the wall than you are (about 1ft). Many suggest to have bipole or Klipsch RS speakers on the side and direct firing (RB series) on the rear wall. So that's what I did. I found a mint pair of RB-35's for super cheap on Craigslist. They sound great from the front row, ok from the back row. Mainly because it is a big speaker (8" woofer) and sticks out away from the wall due to cabinet size as well as the speaker mount I'm using. I would probably have been better off using RS for my rears but that's ok for now. Doesn't fit into my budget yet. LOL.

• Moderators

After writing my above comments, I decided to check to see if I was remembering correctly the difference between bipole and dipole. I was wrong. LOL. Dipoles are usually used on the side walls. Bipoles are the ones that have speakers firing out of phase. With that in mind, your dipoles are meant to be used on the sides, not on the rear walls. Others might be able to comment more on if they will work anyways.

Is there any way to put your surrounds on stands next to where you sit?

If not, there are wall mount options for the RS speakers and you can angle them downward so that the sound isn't firing along the ceiling as much.

Although I bet your setup makes scenes where planes fly overhead seem a little more realistic. [;)]

Well as far as I know, my def techs are VERY similar to the reference klipsch surround speakers. My wife won't allow the speakers to be anywhere but where they are, so work with me guys. I don't mind selling the current speakers and getting something else. because the speakers are so high above me, would it not make sense to have some type of speaker aimed down at me? does anyone make in ceiling speakers that can be aimed?

• Moderators

IMO, if you can't move them down and you can't move them to the sides, I'd keep them. Hook them up, see how they sound. If you like the way it sounds, keep them asis. If you don't then look at replacing them with something else.

I am running this w/ a yamaha 663 receiver, and my L and R speakers are Klipsch rf-62's.

1) my current center is the klipsch vc-25, and in about a week I will be upgrading to the rc-52 (unfortunately the rc-62 is .5 inches too wide). I am just wondering what type of difference I should hear, if anything.

Sorry I can't help as I never compared those 2

2) I am using the Def Tech - BP1X bipolar speakers as my rears. They are placed behind me, about 7 feet up on the wall, flush mounted on the wall so they are shooting straight out. I am only sitting Approx. 2 feet from the wall, so was thinking this may not be the best speaker to work as my rears. I can't move them down any, so I would have to replace the speakers and was wondering what would be more ideal.

Sounds like either the sound coming out of them goes right above your head or you are not set up properly.

First check the set up and using a Sound Level Pressure Meter make sure all the speakers are properly tuned.

It is easy to figure out if the sound goes right above your head: dial them up a little, get up and move forward into the room. If you start to hear more details coming out them then you know.

Solution: angle them down a little bit or check in the new RS series ( 42, 53 or 62). You will be amazed how much better those are versus the previous RS design for this kind of applications