Thinking about buying some Heresys

MikeSt

Found a matched pair locally for a good price and was thinking about getting them for my HK 730. They've been up for sale for awhile, so I was wondering if there's anything I should look for before buying them, something that may have dissuaded other potential buyers. They're supposed to be from the early 80's.

If they were made before 1985, they're original Heresies, if 1985-2005, they're Heresy IIs. Some prefer one, some prefer the other. Both sound good.

If you want to upgrade to Heresy III spec sometime in the future, that's only possible with Heresy IIs with the square crossover cup, probably 1986-87 or later, but that may not matter to you. There are lots of Heresies of all vintages out there and they're not very expensive, so you may wind up with more of them down the road.

1) price

2) do they work

Thats it? No early production models better sounding than older ones, no faulty crossover in 80's models or something weird like that?

On working units, just listen to make sure all three drivers are working. Occasionally a tweeter is blown but not recognized until you get them home.

In the event the K77 tweeter is blown, the most likely problem, a new diaphragm will fix that problem. Not expensive, but would have bearing on the value of the speakers.

No crossover problems to be concerned about, except that vintage, over 20 years old, will likely need to have caps refreshed. This is pretty much a universal issue and not expensive at all to replace. In fact if you listen to them for a while, as is, they will sound OK. When you get around to refreshing the caps in the crossover, you'll love the improvement and it will be like having a new pair of speakers all over again.

Found a matched pair locally for a good price and was thinking about getting them for my HK 730. They've been up for sale for awhile, so I was wondering if there's anything I should look for before buying them, something that may have dissuaded other potential buyers. They're supposed to be from the early 80's.

Good advice here so far. A local sale is nice because you don't have to deal with shipping, but at the same time, the price and what you're getting for the price has to be in line. Look carefully at the condition of the wood and grills. Were they sold as "Raw" speakers, with an "R" in the model designation? If so, what is the finish like on them? Most people don't know how to stain or finish cabinets, and that combined with age can really bring the value down on a used pair.

Heresy's that came from the factory as finished models might have hardwood veneer on them. In good condition this is a very nice find and definately worth a premium. In addition to the nice veneer and finish, factory-finished speakers will have the backs painted, and will have risers, a couple more nice features.

Some of the older Heresy's had thinner plywood cabinets and small-magnet woofers, which I don't like. If they are early 80's, I think that's a great vintage for Heresy's, and you won't have to worry about either of these issues.

Get the model and serial number from them and find out (here) what wood finish and year they are.

Greg

No crossover problems to be concerned about, except that vintage, over 20 years old, will likely need to have caps refreshed. This is pretty much a universal issue and not expensive at all to replace. In fact if you listen to them for a while, as is, they will sound OK. When you get around to refreshing the caps in the crossover, you'll love the improvement and it will be like having a new pair of speakers all over again.

Thanks for the advice guys. I got the Heresy's and they work fine. Big difference from my KG4's, better highs but less bass. I've decided to pair the KG4's and the Heresy's since my HK 730 has 4 speaker outputs. Need to get a horn diaphram for one of the KG4's. Will definintely look into replacing the caps on all the speakers. Will need to learn how to solder first though. :)

actory-finished speakers will have the backs painted, and will have risers, a couple more nice features.

They have the risers, nice finish although a bit scratched up which doesn't matter to me. Looked up the serial, they're 1982. Looking to get a Nakamichi stasis amp now, I heard that will be an improvement over the HK 730. I guess I've got the bug. One day when I'm rich I'll get the khorns and tubes.